PLEASE HELP! Reported an Unauthorized Transaction Only To Have Case Closed

Notsatisfied20
New Community Member

Hello all,

I am at my wit's end. Can someone please help me? I am very close to shutting down this PayPal account and never using this service again.

I am an EMT and last night after returning from a late night cardiac call I got an email from PayPal confirming a purchase of power tools from a hardware outlet that was $453.16. This scared the death of me because I only use PayPal for online video games and ebay purchases. When I followed up on the suspicious order I also discovered it was being sent to my name but the address was in Albany New York, and I live in New Hampshire. I have never lived in NY or bought power tools, so I immediately called PayPal support to alert them of this fraudulent.

It was 4AM eastern here and I was informed by the automated message that I needed to call back at 6AM pacific time. I stayed up the next 5 hours because I am scared and pumped full adrenaline only to have the computer phone service explain they layed off their phone staff due to the corona virus and that there was no one to help me. The message then hung up on me.

I then searched the site and reported the unauthorized transaction and opened a case. But I wanted more reassurance that more fraudulent purchases were not going to be made with my account.  I spoke with an online chat agent and they assured me that if I opened a case file reporting it that it would be reviewed in a timely fashion and that there wasn't much more they could do.

I took their advice and tried to be patient. I also alerted my bank that this specific transaction was unauthorized and that I have clearly been hacked. They said Paypal hadn't posted the transaction yet and since it was a paypal problem to have patience and let them investigate.

Alright so open and shut case, right? I have never bought power tools, and only have a history of ps4 online games and ebay purchases. The address the item is being shipped to is not my address. Surely PayPal will see that this is an obvious scam and that I have been hacked, right?

NO. PayPal several hours later sent an email saying the case was closed and that clearly my history of buying video games is the same thing as 450 dollars worth of power tools! How could they **bleep** this up so bad?

I have trusted this company with very important information for many years and when I need protection from obvious theft I am written off and there is no appeal option or even a human being to talk with about it with? This is the worst customer service I have ever had and I have even flown on United Airlines. It's worse than that.

What options do I have? Right now I'm so furious and scared that more unauthorized transactions are going to be made that I really want to close my account out of protection, but I really don't want to do that. Can someone please help me?

My job as a medical provider is stressful enough right now that you would think PayPal would at least have my back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If this can't be resolved my only option is to shut this account down and never do business with this company again, because not only did I get zero support with a legitamate claim I simply cannot trust them with me money or important information.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

FISHMANG
Contributor
Contributor

I'VE HAD ALMOST THE EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE, BUT FOR OVER $1k TWICE.  NOW DESPITE FILING A CLAIM, THE CASES WERE CLOSED ALMOST IMMEDIATELY FOR THE SAME LAME REASON.  THE FIRST ONE I WAS ABLE TO REACH AN AGENT, WHO REOPENED THE CASE.  THE SECOND ONE, UNABLE TO REACH AN AGENT, DESPITE MANY MANY ATTEMPTS.  ALSO TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO APPEAL ON LINE IS NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE.  I HAVE ALWAYS HAD EXCELLENT SUPPORT FROM PAYPAL, SO THIS EXPERIENCE IS PUZZLING.  NOW I'M TRYING TO GET THE VIRTUAL AGENT TO HELP, BUT THAT IS VERY FRUSTRATING, AS IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO GET A REPLY.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.