PAYPAL LETS SELLERS SELL PRODUCTS "NOT AS DESCRIBED" CONTACT THE FTC

Smileygirlnow
Contributor
Contributor

I will tell you that "buyer protection" is meant to protect us from fraudulent sellers but Paypal doesn’t enforce this policy, they continue to let the same sellers send products that they intentionally know are “not as described” on their websites.  That is why I have for years paid with PayPal.  No more, if you read my post related to Re: HK SOWEWAY INTERNATIONAL LOGISTICS CO., LIMITED you will see that I was and still am being put through hell and Paypal is siding with the seller, in spite of their policy.  My product was not as described as thousands of you on these community pages are saying too!  I don't have the energy to repeat my situation but it is just like all of yours that have posted on the community pages.  I had evidence and I had emails and pictures and worse an email from the seller saying FINALLY AFTER MONTHS, that they would refund me in full and I didn't have to return the "not as described" broken products but PayPal was insisting I needed to and at my expense if I wanted a refund. I threatened to file a FTC complaint and got my money back, then they decided that may not be entitled to that refund and it would be taken out of my account unless I submitted more documents, documents that I had already submitted! Now I have had to appeal it.  I AM NOT TAKING THIS ANYMORE.  What they are doing is perpetuating a scam, they know we won't mail the stuff back to China because it costs more than the products!  Have you seen how many complaints are posted here about the same situation and how difficult it is to get resolution and to contact and to communicate with anyone at Paypal?  Over 1,7410000 YUP!  Do you know that PayPal has already been sued by the Federal Trade Commission for fraudulent business practices?  Well when they allow the same sellers over and over again ship us fake products thru the mail and knowingly continue to due business with that seller, that is mail fraud and that is a federal offense to my knowledge.  I want EVERYONE TO KNOW IF YOU WANT RESOLUTION AND THE FRUSTRATION TO END that you need to contact the FTC at[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/strong>.................or go to their website https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc (in your complaint name the seller and Paypal). I contacted them the other day and they were fantastic.  They do not take on personal cases, so they won't get your money back for you, but they can make Paypal pay for the torment we are experiencing and they will force change at Paypal.  I will remind you that we are by PayPals "buyer protection" policy supposed to be covered for products that are NOT AS DESCRIBED OR THAT NEVER ARRIVE.  But that is a lie and that is fraud, PayPal clearly perpetuates willfully "illegal and unfair business practices".  TELL ME THAT PAYPAL IS NOT AWARE LOOK AT THE COMPLAINTS WRITTEN ON THESE PAGES.................. I for one will never use PAYPAL EVER AGAIN, and I suggest boycotting them and let them feel it!  They also own VENMO!  If you want to see change then you have to be the change, complaining here obviously doesn't get resolution according to their policy and that is a crime literally!  This is an UNFAIR BUSINESS PRACTICE and tell the FTC that the community pages are the evidence!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Smileygirlnow 

We must be more mindful of who we buy from. There are many sites out there with cookie cutter shops that throw up a bunch of pics, too good to be true prices, weird gibberish domain names, bad grammar/misspellings generally. Once you've shopped around long enough you'll see through the scammers. You can't even rely on the site saying they are located in the US address solely anymore. There are other characteristics that also point to rip off sites. Stick to reputable merchants or do research on the merchant, product, domain name. We are our last line of defense.

You also may dispute with your card issuer alternatively if PayPal is not budging.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Smileygirlnow 

We must be more mindful of who we buy from. There are many sites out there with cookie cutter shops that throw up a bunch of pics, too good to be true prices, weird gibberish domain names, bad grammar/misspellings generally. Once you've shopped around long enough you'll see through the scammers. You can't even rely on the site saying they are located in the US address solely anymore. There are other characteristics that also point to rip off sites. Stick to reputable merchants or do research on the merchant, product, domain name. We are our last line of defense.

You also may dispute with your card issuer alternatively if PayPal is not budging.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Lynoria
Contributor
Contributor

Agree! I just bought a wreath for $38.99 which included express shipping of $10. It took over 3 weeks (some express shipping) and when I received it, it was not a wreath! But a stuffed 9 inch pillow with a picture of the wreath imprinted! What a scam! Then when I disputed it the seller keeps saying it was their fault and would I take $3, then $7, then &10, now $16 off to keep the merchandise! I responded  no each and every time. I tried to respond now the PayPal resolution center is giving me an error message. And not taking my response.I have until the 26th to reply. I have tried the chat and then tried the email address they gave me in an email, doesn’t work. I am tired of Playing a game with the seller. I have now gone directly to American Express for a refund. I will never ever buy from any facebook ad ever again. Learned my lesson.

Login to Me Too

trinnni
Contributor
Contributor

Same, bought a laser burner, a dodgy plastic phone holder arrived, now I have to pay A LOT of money from Australia to China because Paypal won't enforce their own policies. They used to be a reputable company but if they don't fix this scam that is obviously everywhere then I'm no longer paying anything through paypal nor will my next business.

Login to Me Too

trinnni
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed, if they don't stop these scams and hold those sellers accountable I'm on the boycott line as well.

Login to Me Too

Lynoria
Contributor
Contributor

Well, after a couple of weeks going back and forth with the seller in PayPal Disputes, I finally got PayPal to rule in my favor! I received a credit for the full amount, including the shipping and handling! If that happened more often, perhaps these scammers would think twice before pulling this stunt! Good luck folks!

Login to Me Too

Smileygirlnow
Contributor
Contributor

good for you

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.