PAYPAL KEPT FEE ON EBAY REFUND *LISTEN TO THIS*

dendenden0
Contributor
Contributor

wait till you hear this, short and to the point

i made a sale through ebay, buyer claimed item not as described and said he was going to send it back (which he waited 8 weeks to do so for whatever reason and only sent it after the day i escalated the claim to ebay), so ebay refunds the money to the guy (i never received the item back yet, they claimed a delivery attempt was made which i never even knew about, i'm sorting this out with the post office ATM)

i got paid $289.95 ( minus $8.71 paypal fee ) = $281.24 , my paypal balance was 0 plus the funds they put on hold (at the time they put the funds on hold i had more then enough money)

ebay refunds the buyer, they charge me the full $289.95 out of my debit card, then release the hold of $281.24, meaning i paid back the $8.71 fee paypal deducted

now i've spent 2 days talking to these people and explaining to them, and apparently they dont understand basic mathematics

so what the ... ? am i living in the twilight zone ?

they didn't even bother deducting the funds they had on hold minus the difference from my debit card, they just laid it on me, (off course why not, we don't want to deduct anything from the paypal balance, that makes sense... not), my system was setup paypal balance first, remainder paid by debit

i am at a loss for words, PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW YOU JUSTIFY KEEPING THE PAYPAL FEE ON A REFUND?

no judge in there right mind would disagree with what i'm saying, let alone any customer who uses paypal, i recommend some supervisor take a look at this because clearly a mistake has been made...

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mas31

Sounds like a credit card chargeback, is that the case?

If so then the credit card company charge a fee that the loser has to pay.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

no,it is the PAYPAL FEE LESS 30 CENTS TRANSACTION HE IS COMPLAINING.

Login to Me Too

Mas31
Contributor
Contributor

It's about the paypal transaction fees.

Total transaction is 500 pounds, I only received 480.3 ( 500 minus 19.7 paypal transaction fees). The buyer opened two cases about the purchase one on ebay and one on paypal. Ebay voted for me and paid back the 50 pounds Ebay transaction fees. But paypal decided to refund the buyer anyway and deducted 500 pounds from my account.

I don't agree with paypal's decision, but I have decided not to appeal against it since the item had been returned. But I have tried several times to claim back the transaction fees from paypal. Paypal just conveniently ignored my request. If any one knows a better way than resolution centre or message centre to file a complaint, do let me know.

By the way the resolution centre is useless. There is no way to add a customised note when appealing a decision.

Login to Me Too

tiggermusk
Contributor
Contributor
This has just happened to me, eBay refunded a buyer using my credit card I have linked to PayPal instead of using my PayPal balance, so how do I get my PayPal fee returned back to me. I have messaged PayPal but they don't understand or just not bothered
Login to Me Too

Mas31
Contributor
Contributor

I sent several emails to Paypal using the Message centre. I received only one copy/paste reply that ignores the key question about transaction fees. So I have not got back my transaction fee.

Ebay users have no alternatives for digital payment systems. Paypal is one monopoly that can do whatever they want.  

Login to Me Too

tiggermusk
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I agree, they reply sending links and how nice it is to talk to you without answering the question. Just want to talk to a human being with a brain
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

why not ask Ebay?

It sounds like Paypal is saying ,if you follow its rule and find that transaction and refund from there,it will refund its fee less 30 cents.

But you did not do that,EBay did it   its own way,Ebay is not you.

and the way Ebay goes about refunding is costing you money 

lets see if this makes sense,

you sent me to pick up a  a package and pay me $10 for my time.

the package costs 100.

you give me  $110 for the package and I gave 100 to the seller

you don't like the item and you want your money back.

Seller give you back 100,but should I give you the $10?

I did my job,picking up the package,I get to keep my $10.  

substitute I with Paypal,PAYPAL  did its job,it gets to keep the fee?

Login to Me Too

Airdrifting
Contributor
Contributor
Don't listen to those above as they have no idea what they are talking about. I have encountered your problem before and it was a much larger transaction. Average customer reps were either playing dumb acting like the transaction fee was never there or first grade mathematically challenged, Even though I was telling them the number does not add up under account activity with balance, Only way getting it resolved was through escalating to a supervisor. They shouldn't keep the transaction fee if the transaction was reversed and never took place, It does not cost them anything as the credit card company will refund PayPal when that happens. I believe PayPal is doing this on purpose and hoping to get away with it because most people are mathematically challenged and they make reading the balance in your account very confusing and complicated.
Login to Me Too

Beto1961
Contributor
Contributor
Another example of a possible scheme: I bought on eBay a non physical item (subscription) that should be delivered via message between 2 and 24 hours. It didn't happen and seller agreed to refund me. At eBay/PayPal resolution center I could see that seller indeed cancelled the order and refunded me, HOWEVER, nothing was credited to my Paypal account or credit card. Contacted PayPal customer support and they said that eBay still have to send the refund to my Paypal account. Almost 3 days later (after seller's issued the refund) , I saw the amount on my Paypal activity but balance was still 0,00 and nothing credited to my credit card. Contacted PayPal customer service again and they tell me that they can see the amount but it can take 7 to 30(!) days to be credited to my credit card. It's just outrageous. Talking about "buyer's protection", refunds always took place immediately, specially on seller's agreement (no dispute), but things now are very different on eBay/PayPal's world..  No matter what they will tell you, they are just holding your money for the extra interest... Just looking where I can properly file a complaint. I wonder if this kind of schemes also happen on Aliexpress....
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.