PAYPAL INST XFER WEB ID: PAYPALSI77

nJoiOnlY
Contributor
Contributor

How safe is PayPal now?   Somebody has used my son's account and did ACH Debit 3 times for a total of $450.

All transactions were debited directly from his checking account and payable to Web ID: PAYPALS77

October 5, 2017
PAYPAL INST XFER DELEESA2011 WEB ID: PAYPALSI77 $50.00

October 13, 2017

PAYPAL INST XFER SOFTCELBERG WEB ID: PAYPALSI77 $200.00

PAYPAL INST XFER GCHAZ193 WEB ID: PAYPALSI77 $200.00

The funny thing is there was no activity at all in his Summary/Activity.  So, he called PayPal and they told him that somebody has used his identity to open another account and done bogus transactions in another country.  PayPal closed the fake account instantly and advised my son to contact his bank to do neccesary steps for his own protection.

I don't understand why PayPal could not stop any cloning account without verifying first.  As far as I remember you need to verify and confirm even for an email change.  Is PayPal really safe now?

Login to Me Too
64 REPLIES 64

foobird
Contributor
Contributor

I just discovered this problem as well

Periodic payouts to this account with no associated activity on my ebay account (which is the main place I would have used paypal for such small amounts)

I tried several times to disconnect my bank account from Paypal - of course I couldn't - it always said "There is a pending transaction"

So I got on the phone with them and they disabled it.

But I can't trust Paypal anymore

Jul 1, 2019PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit

-$0.01

PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.04
 PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.08
Jun 20, 2019PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.09
 PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.22
 PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.32
Jun 18, 2019PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.06
 PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.09
Jun 17, 2019PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.11
Jun 10, 2019
PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.12
 PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.13
 PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.13
 PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.17
 PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.24
 PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.26
 PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.29
 PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.34
 PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.94
Apr 15, 2019PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.09
Apr 8, 2019
 PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.37
 PAYPAL INST XFER EBAY INC WEB ID: PAYPALSI77ACH debit-$0.39
Login to Me Too

Svmcnary1
Contributor
Contributor
I am being charged $54.95. Didn’t not authorize this charge.
Login to Me Too

Jmcclung77
Contributor
Contributor
This post was made in 2017 and PayPal supposedly closed far account? It's 2019 and the same SI77 is taking money from my bank account. I filed thru my bank to dispute and closed my bank account. PayPal needs to find this scammer and prosecute.
Login to Me Too

Freshstrin
Contributor
Contributor
It seems to me this is a Chase issue. Somehow scammers are getting ahold of peoples’ Chase account information (happened to me—see my post above) and are then linking those bank accounts to new PayPal accounts. I don’t think there’s a single “SI77” scammer. But perhaps until Chase is able to secure its user accounts PayPal should block Chase accounts from being linked to new PayPal accounts. As far as I can tell Chase is the only bank that’s customers are being victimized under this scam.
Login to Me Too

honor1231
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I had this issue yesterday and stumbled upon this thread. While some of you may have suffered from legitimate banking fraud, my case was not so. So perhaps, my circumstance is the same as others.

I noticed a charge of $86.50 on my Chase Banking statement from web ID paypalsi77. However, the instant transfer was to a username I did not recognize (not that I recognize paypalsi77). With that being said, I reviewed my recent activity on my Paypal account and did not find any charge with that particular amount. I reported fraud to Chase and continued to do my own research. I stumbled upon someone on this forum asking a similar question to mine and someone else gave them a concise and clear answer which cleared my own confusions fears: .

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-Limitations/About-ID-PAYPALSI77/td-p/1759347

It seems that the charge appears in our Chase accounts when we use our paypal balance to partially pay a charge and debit the rest to our bank accounts. In my case, I had partially paid a $95 charge with $8.50 of my paypal balance while I charged the remaining $86.50 to my bank account. However when I looked at my recent activity on my paypal account, it only showed the charge of $95. Only upon clicking on the charge did it show the breakdown on how the charge was split between my paypal balance and bank account. The webID of paypalsi77 is some string of characters that paypal uses when transferring money from your linked bank account to a vendor/user. In my case, I was sending money to a friend so it listed their obscure USERNAME (not email, not vendor name, not real name) in my bank account so I did not recognize it. I contacted my friend and asked if they recognized this strange username and they said it was an old online name they used to use. My suspicion is that they used this name when signing up for paypal several years ago as a login and paypal still retains and displays on transactions such as this.

My suggestion to all of you is to see when the charge was posted on your bank account and compare it to the day before and day of activity on your paypal account. See if you posted any transactions on those days and click on the transactions to see if there were any split charges between your paypal balance and your bank account. Paypal often defaults to using your paypal balance first before using a secondary payment method. We sometimes click through pages so quickly when purchasing that we do not realize little things like that.

Second, if you find that it was a split transaction that caused the confusion, locate the user ID on the debit charge on your bank account line item (not paypalsi77) and ask the vendor/friend to whom you sent money if this their username or if they at least recognize it. This is not entirely necessary as you have essentially reconciled the charge to your account, but its worth it for a little more peace of mind.

I believe the idea that "this only happens to chase customers" is because the Chase banking system renders these particular paypal transactions in a very odd way in our statements that make them seem fraudulent and unrecognizable. Might be some coding issue or something (I have no idea about that stuff, just a shot in the dark).

And for those wondering, yes, I called Chase and made them aware of my mistake so that they could close their fraud case investigation.

I hope this helps some of you, if not all of you. I hope those who have suffered from genuine fraud are able to recover what they have lost.

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Freshstrin
Contributor
Contributor

I'm glad you were able to figure out what happened to you, but I don't think this will be the answer for most people who come looking for help here because, as many have noted, their Chase accounts that have been debited are not accounts that have ever even been linked to their Paypal accounts, and in fact the Paypal transfers from Chase were not initiated and had nothing to do with their own Paypal accounts. This has been regularly confirmed by Paypal for me and many other people who have actually been defrauded. As I noted in an earlier post in this thread:

"This transaction did not happen through my own PayPal account, but through a completely unrelated account that someone was somehow able to link to my Chase savings account. Interestingly, the Chase account in which the debit occurred is not linked (and has never been linked) to my PayPal account."

In any event, I'm glad you were able to sort out your issue and perhaps others who have a problem like yours will be assisted by your post. Thank you.

Login to Me Too

honor1231
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I see. I am sorry my case is not the same as yours. I believe however, that PAYPALSI77 here is not a username as I stated in my previous post, its simply a ID that paypal uses in transferring direct funds. The real culprits who are committing these fraudulent transfers are the ID's a little earlier in the line item that is shown on your chase account.

Nonetheless, best of luck and hopefully Paypal begins cracking down on these issues and also puts in more verification steps that help prevent unauthorized linking of banking accounts to paypal accounts.

Login to Me Too

SHABBATime
PAYPALSI77 is actually for your friends birthday donations. Friends can set up charities they would like other friends to donate to on Facebook, and if you donate, it comes up as PAYPALSI77
Login to Me Too

ladybugkk88
New Community Member

This issue has been happening to me for a month and PayPal's incompetent support chat keeps ignoring me when I tell them this exact same thing. Who can I contact because almost $300.00 was stolen from me and people are not listening and it's really starting to **bleep** me off.

Login to Me Too

Freshstrin
Contributor
Contributor

If it was stolen from a Chase bank account then report it immediately to Chase's fraud department.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.