PAYPAL INST XFER WEB ID: PAYPALSI77

nJoiOnlY
Contributor
Contributor

How safe is PayPal now?   Somebody has used my son's account and did ACH Debit 3 times for a total of $450.

All transactions were debited directly from his checking account and payable to Web ID: PAYPALS77

October 5, 2017
PAYPAL INST XFER DELEESA2011 WEB ID: PAYPALSI77 $50.00

October 13, 2017

PAYPAL INST XFER SOFTCELBERG WEB ID: PAYPALSI77 $200.00

PAYPAL INST XFER GCHAZ193 WEB ID: PAYPALSI77 $200.00

The funny thing is there was no activity at all in his Summary/Activity.  So, he called PayPal and they told him that somebody has used his identity to open another account and done bogus transactions in another country.  PayPal closed the fake account instantly and advised my son to contact his bank to do neccesary steps for his own protection.

I don't understand why PayPal could not stop any cloning account without verifying first.  As far as I remember you need to verify and confirm even for an email change.  Is PayPal really safe now?

Login to Me Too
64 REPLIES 64

nJoiOnlY
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think PayPal did anything to solve these crooks steal money from its users. 

My suggestion is to put an alert in your bank account and set up an alert also to your smart phone.

So, you can stop any suspicious transactions right away. 

Login to Me Too

byrdie0217
New Community Member

same issue here. 2 transactions so far. I changed my password but then realized that didn't matter because paypal didn't even catch a cloned account so I jut completely closed my account.

Login to Me Too

Kkey1978
New Community Member
I have been scammed too this. Why is this not corrected?
Login to Me Too

Freshstrin
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me today (fraudulent $1,850 debit from Chase savings acct) and I got lucky and caught it quickly. It was an "ACH debit" with the following info:

ORIG CO NAME: PAYPAL CO ENTRY DESCR:INST XFER SEC:WEB IND ID : XXXXXXXXXXXX ORIG ID : PAYPALSI77

Called PayPal and after a half hour wait got a very helpful rep on the phone who filed a report and assured me that I would have "zero liability" (they will refund the full $1,850 within 10 days). Most important for other who have this problem, it took about 10 seconds of explanation before the PayPal rep knew exactly what was going on. I did have to provide PayPal with the savings account number to allow them to track the transaction. I was confident I was actually speaking with PayPal because I called directly through the IOS App. She was able to figure out who the user was who used a debit from my bank account to transfer money to someone else and immediately blocked his or her account. As others have noted, this transaction did not happen through my own PayPal account, but through a completely unrelated account that someone was somehow able to link to my Chase savings account. Interestingly, the Chase account in which the debit occurred is not linked (and has never been linked) to my PayPal account. PayPal informed me that someone somehow has access to my bank account and I should inform Chase so they can initiate appropriate security procedures (which I have now done). Anyway, just wanted to report that PayPal is well aware of this scam and seemed very willing to take appropriate steps to make it right. With that said, I don't know if there's a point at which too much time will have passed for them to be so willing to fix it as the rep mentioned that they work hard on the enforcement side to collect the stolen funds back from the fraudsters and I suspect the more time that passed the harder that may become. Good luck to everyone else who gets dinged by this scam and keep a close eye on those bank accounts! 

Login to Me Too

CalQuinn

Wow Freshtrin - this was the most helpful post in here. Calling them asap to sort it out. 

Login to Me Too

Ginny1
Contributor
Contributor

I had many charges from PAYPALSI77, a couple from PAYPALEC88 and one from PAYPALSD22 ACH directly from my Chase checking account in the span of just over 4 months.  I called PAYPAL and they opened a case nbr and said if they determined it to be fraudulent (which we both knew they were) I would have my funds credited to me in 10-15 days.   So, I waited.  Heard nothing and called back.   PayPal said that it was fraudulent and that I was due that money, but that my bank had to request an ACH pullback.   I do have a PayPal account, but it is in no way attached to my Chase checking account.  It is and always has been attached to my Discover Card. I don’t have a Chase debit card or ATM card, the Chase account was less than 6 months old when the first fraudulent activity hit it and I had written only 4 checks on the account.  I feel confident that my bank can recover the funds from PayPal, but disappointed that PayPal couldn’t send them to me themselves.  I really don’t feel this had anything to do with MY PayPal account at all.   People (online) keep saying they are going to cancel their PayPal accounts, but I noticed most of the time this is happening as ACH transactions against CHASE bank accounts.  Perhaps the problem is with a Chase?  Has anyone had this problem with a bank account other than Chase? 

Login to Me Too

slowjane70
Contributor
Contributor

I have a charge from them for $80.00. No idea why. Same vendor, oddly named charge.  ESTATETHING WEB ID: PAYPALSI77

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi slowjane70,

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member!

Please reach out to our Customer Support team by phone. You can locate the number for your account by clicking on "Help and Contact" - > "Call Us" at the bottom of any PayPal page.

- Siobhan

Login to Me Too

cnguyen83
Contributor
Contributor
This just happened to me yesterday 04/22/2019 with a total of 55.47 in my bank account but no activity in my PayPal account. I've contacted PayPal and my bank and still haven't heard anything.
Login to Me Too

bowofola
Contributor
Contributor

For anyone who has experienced this on a Chase checkings/savings account. Its hard to get through customer service right now (COVID-19). The department you need to reach is claims -[Removed. Phone #s not permitted] They should file a claim for all the disputed transactions and you probably will have to close the account to prevent future fraud.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.