PAYPAL INST XFER WEB ID: PAYPALSI77

nJoiOnlY
Contributor
Contributor

How safe is PayPal now?   Somebody has used my son's account and did ACH Debit 3 times for a total of $450.

All transactions were debited directly from his checking account and payable to Web ID: PAYPALS77

October 5, 2017
PAYPAL INST XFER DELEESA2011 WEB ID: PAYPALSI77 $50.00

October 13, 2017

PAYPAL INST XFER SOFTCELBERG WEB ID: PAYPALSI77 $200.00

PAYPAL INST XFER GCHAZ193 WEB ID: PAYPALSI77 $200.00

The funny thing is there was no activity at all in his Summary/Activity.  So, he called PayPal and they told him that somebody has used his identity to open another account and done bogus transactions in another country.  PayPal closed the fake account instantly and advised my son to contact his bank to do neccesary steps for his own protection.

I don't understand why PayPal could not stop any cloning account without verifying first.  As far as I remember you need to verify and confirm even for an email change.  Is PayPal really safe now?

Login to Me Too
64 REPLIES 64

mj23kb24
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem too. There were multiple transfers, amounts ranged from $1-$300+, all within a 3 month period. I spoke with my financial institution and they just told me to contact paypal first. I couldn't file a report to paypal since there is no record of it in my activity so I had to speak to a representative, and told me that they were able to see the unauthorized transfers linked to someone, and even provided a name too and asked if I recognize the name.

The representative insisted that I provide my debit/credit card number to further investigate but my financial institution told me that these unauthorized transfers were done directly from my bank and had nothing to do with my debit or credit card. This raised some concerns because if the representatives from paypal were able to identify the culprit and even have access to my paypal information, they should already have the information that is saved in my account. In the end, I declined to provide my card number and that was the last I heard from them. No claim, not even a follow up email/callback.

I changed my password and removed all my accounts linked to paypal. The next day, the same thing happened again! HOW?! Unauthorized charges were made through paypal again but this time it wasn’t through paypalsi77, instead it was purchase made using paypal. I ended up having to speak with my financial institution to reimburse all the unauthorized transaction.

Sorry for the long rant, but to sum it all up: Talk to your financial institution first as your bank account may be compromised. Don’t expect that paypal will do much to help you get your money.

Login to Me Too

MrMejia82
New Community Member

I just had this issue and reported it immediately to my bank institution. Checked my account here on Paypal, but there were no recent transactions. The ID's that were used to take money from my account were;

SEC:WEB IND ID:LOSTGOLFBAL ORIG ID:PAYPALEC88          took exactly $149.99 

SEC:WEB IND ID:J22222BZQT5S4 ORIG ID:770510487A       took exactly .99 cents

Login to Me Too

lazydog616

Is there a way to get the money back? Should i unlink my bank accounts from paypal?!

@nJoiOnlY wrote:

How safe is PayPal now?   Somebody has used my son's account and did ACH Debit 3 times for a total of $450.

All transactions were debited directly from his checking account and payable to Web ID: PAYPALS77

October 5, 2017
PAYPAL INST XFER DELEESA2011 WEB ID: PAYPALSI77 $50.00

October 13, 2017

PAYPAL INST XFER SOFTCELBERG WEB ID: PAYPALSI77 $200.00

PAYPAL INST XFER GCHAZ193 WEB ID: PAYPALSI77 $200.00

The funny thing is there was no activity at all in his Summary/Activity.  So, he called PayPal and they told him that somebody has used his identity to open another account and done bogus transactions in another country.  PayPal closed the fake account instantly and advised my son to contact his bank to do neccesary steps for his own protection.

I don't understand why PayPal could not stop any cloning account without verifying first.  As far as I remember you need to verify and confirm even for an email change.  Is PayPal really safe now?

Login to Me Too

verronicka
Contributor
Contributor

I had so many of these "INST XFERs" and I would ask my bank to look into it, but they would say to ask PayPal, and vice versa. It seems like no one wants to take responsibility for this rampant fraud.

I don't understand why there can't be a better "paper trail" or tracking system.

I'm sure all of us would have been able to figure out what was going on sooner if there was a way to look up a particular transaction using a reference/transaction number, for instance. It's worthless for transfers to just appear as "ACH Withdrawal PayPal, INST XFER." Obviously, the money is being taken out of an account and being put into another. Someone has to know who is receiving and who is requesting.

Login to Me Too

priya2
Contributor
Contributor

I have already complained to the department of business oversight, CA: http://www.dbo.ca.gov/. If it does not work, I will complain to CA attorney general. If that does not work I will complain to Federal Reserve. If even that does not work, I will file a lawsuit.

Login to Me Too

priya2
Contributor
Contributor

I got defrauded of > $9000 from the same user. Let's meet a lawyer and do class action suite.

Login to Me Too

iklln6

I had the same mysterious transaction show up 10 times over the last year.  Couldn't recall what they were.  I solved the mystery by searching my e-mail.  Here are my tips to tracking down the receipts:

1) Look at emails you received on the transaction date +/- a couple of days.

2) Search emails for the transaction amount (without the dollar sign) and look for results that are near the date of the transaction

PAYPALSI77 is not the company with whom you made the transaction -- the ten in my history were from three different companies.  One of which was my XBox Live Gold renewal (59.99), another was from Angie's List (25.00), and the other seven were circuit boards I'd ordered through OSH Park.

If you can't find an emailed receipt, THEN suspect fraud.  If it's a legitimate transaction, then you most likely have a receipt in your email somewhere (don't forget to check your junk folder).

I hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

ducki303

I just started having the same thing happen to my saving account. The strange thing is, I don't have my saving account link to my paypal. 

How do I resolve this?

Login to Me Too

ducki303

Who is this Kristen White?

PAYPAL DES:INST XFER ID:HELPINGANIM INDN:KRISTEN <removed> CO ID:PAYPALSI77 WEB

Login to Me Too

earthgirl429

I cannot believe that over a year after this post was first listed ... same thing is STILL happening!!  I just spent an hour on the phone with my bank to dispute the 2 charges from PAYPALSI77 that showed up on bank account today.  I have not used my paypal account in years and nothing shows up in my history.  I have to go through the hassle of shutting down my bank account and re-opening a new one. 

When I talked with my bank - they told me that my account was compromised - routing and bank account information!! 

I am currently on hold with PayPal, but it just seems so frustrating that there seems to be a connection to Chase & this fraudulent person / account that maybe PayPal could step it up a little to resolve the issue!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.