PAYPAL HOLDING UNEMPLOYMENT FOR OVER A YEAR, NOW WON'T RELEASE IT

c_celeste
Contributor
Contributor
I recieved my Unemployment backpay last year that amounted to almost $13k. I know it wasn't a good idea, but I still had it deposited into my PayPal account. Immediately when I tried to transfer it out, PayPal locked my account and stated that they needed more information. I provided them with almost everything they asked for (Including a letter with proof from my states unemployment) but I couldn't provide an ID due to issues I'm having with the DMV. They said its find, they'll hold it for 180 days. 180 days and I heard nothing. So I called and they said they were holding it for ANOTHER 180 days for "further investigating". Fine, whatever. 180 days hit again today so I called and now they're telling me that my account is flagged as "Do not release funds until further notice". What am I supposed to do? My unemployment ran out and I have no other options to support my family. PayPal completely **bleep** me over and I'm out of options. TL;DR: PayPal held my unemployment backpay for a year and are now telling me that they can't release my funds until further notice. I'm desperate and need help. What can I do?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@c_celeste 

Sorry but personally if I was you I would get legal advice on this one.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Neiceyjones20
Contributor
Contributor
Did they ever release your funds? I’m having the same issue. It’s been since November of last year.
Login to Me Too

c_celeste
Contributor
Contributor
No, they still haven't released my funds. It sucks that we're having to deal with this 😞 I've filed a BBB complaint, a government agency complaint, emailed PayPal's executive office and have even contacted my states governor and so far nothings worked. I'm currently in the process of getting a good lawyer so I can take them to court. I legally received my unemployment money and provided them with all the proof I had. I hope you have better luck than I have because I don't know what else to do.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.