Other person's suspended account means my money is in limbo

MikeS84
New Community Member

I recently attempted to send some money to someone with the transaction marked "Family and Friends". The next day I received a phone call from PayPal, looking to confirm the transaction. That seemed reasonable, however, the next thing they asked is what that transaction was for, telling me that doing so for merchants would mean that they can't guarantee services and any issues would have to be resolved through a merchant. I told them that my reason for sending this money to this person was private, and that seemed to be satisfactory. However, it appears that it actually wasn't.

The day after this phone call, I was contacted by the person I'd sent the money. They told me their account has been suspended for 180 days and they can't access the money I sent them. On top of that, the money I sent hasn't been refunded to me, despite the fact my friend isn't able to access it. I've looked for a way to contact PayPal to request an explanation as to why my friend's account has been suspended and, if there's a valid reason, if I can request a refund so the money isn't just sitting there for approximately six months. However, all the help walkthroughs I've seen are related to problems with either senders or recipients of cash, not with PayPal itself, and I haven't come across any email address for customer support. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions on how to deal with this?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MikeS84 

Sounds as if they suspect the transaction was for goods/services, by telling them that the reason for the payment was 'private' when you are using their site probably confirmed their suspicions.

The money is stuck in your friends account UNLESS you funded that paypal payment via a credit card, in which case you could try and see if they will chargeback for you BUT they may not do so as it was not a transaction for goods.

If you had just told them what the money was for ie gift or loan or whatever I doubt they would have suspended your friends account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.