Order placed but not completed, however Paypal have deducted the amount from my account

Cattegbica
Contributor
Contributor

Placed an order on 30th Sept, but order came up as incomplete, however Paypal have deducted the £14.99 from my account. Have contacted the seller who has not received my order. Raised a claim at the Paypal Resolution centre, who have now rejected my claim as no fraudulent activity took place. Contacted E Bay who state that Paypal had a problem for 3 hours on 30th Sept and that my money would be returned, however PayPal have rejected my claim. I know it is only £14.99, but it is the principle that is the issue here.

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

Ali139
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem but for a lesser amount.  I have just sent paypal screenshots proving that i placed an order but that it failed to go through despite the funds for the item I tried to order being processed by paypal and being taken from my bank account.

Login to Me Too

Cattegbica
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal have now rejected my claim for a refund stating that no fraudulent activity took place. Have tried to appeal with no success. This is what happens when companies use algorithms rather than people. I have gone back to Ebay and raised a complaint, they acknowledge that Paypal had a problem for 3 hours on 30th Sept, but they say that it is up to me to get my money back from Paypal. 

Login to Me Too

Ali139
Contributor
Contributor
So where is your money, where is my money. Someone must have it and since both of our orders failed to finalise on ebay, how did paypal manage to even complete a payment.
Login to Me Too

Cattegbica
Contributor
Contributor

According to E Bay the money was sent to the vendor. Initially E Bay said that they would get the money back from the vendor, but then changed their minds and said it was for me to get the money back from PayPal.

I have contacted the vendor and they state that they have had neither the order or the money.

Will keep my account open with PayPal but will not use them again for purchases as the Algorithms have been less than helpful and will also be moving away from using E Bay as they have been no help either.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Tricia

Hi @Cattegbica

I can certainly understand how concerning this is. You mentioned the claim was closed. What type of claim did you file? Did you receive an email advising why the claim was closed? 

Thanks, 
PayPal_Tricia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Cattegbica
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot remember what type of claim it was, but explained the facts. PayPal closed the case as they stated that "No fraudulent activity had taken place", with no chance to appeal. E Bay were stating on their website that PayPal had this problem for about 3 hours on the 30th Sept and that it affected a number of people and purchases. So why don't they reimburse as I cannot be the only one that will no longer use the PayPal platform to pay for my purchases.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cattegbica 

If you opened a dispute for unauthorised then you were basically telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make the transaction, paypal would check IP addresses and devices and if it showed you did buy the item then of course it would be closed.

Did you not have the option to file a dispute for non receipt of item?

Secondly what does it say next to the transaction in your paypal account is it completed?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Cattegbica
Contributor
Contributor

E Bay were the ones who told me that the order had not been placed and that I needed to pay for the order, but in the meantime PayPal sent a receipt saying that I had paid for the order. I then contacted E Bay who told me that there was a 3 hour glich on PayPal and that under the money guarantee system I would get my money back. They then changed tack and said it was my resposibility to claim the money back.

How could I have raised a non delivery complaint when E Bay were saying the order had not been placed?

I contacted the vendor who stated that they had not received the order or the payment, therefore it must follow ythat as PayPal took my money, they still have it.

Login to Me Too

Cattegbica
Contributor
Contributor

My PayPal account shows -£14.99 and the money was taken out of my Bank account within 48 hours.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.