Online Product Scam

gabenamorado
Contributor
Contributor

Hi PayPal Community,

I was on Instagram Stories, and saw an ad for a very cool bike handlebar bag. I click on the ad, see the product images, and purchase the product for $29.99 + shipping. It was a great looking bag, and thought it was an incredible deal.

I then began to research the website I bought it from, and realized it was not what one would consider an official e-commerce store. They were selling Halloween masks and other random items. I looked up the bag further, and realized it was actually a Kickstarter project that hadn't fully been funded yet, and hadn't even planned on beginning production for the bag until January 2021.

In trying to contact the seller, I mentioned that I needed a refund as there was no way they would possibly be able to sell a product to me that wasn't in production. They responded by telling me it was too late, they already "shipped" the item. Curious to see what arrives.

I've since reported this issue to PayPal, only to have my case denied as it wasn't an "unauthorized transaction" – well sure, I authorized it, but does it make it okay for someone to scam me out of my money for selling me a product that they cannot possibly sell me? I can't seem to dispute the transaction anymore either. I am really disappointed by the lack of assistance on PayPal's end. Someone please help! 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

gabenamorado
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: Resolved!

After 5 attempts of disputing the transaction, I finally had some luck by going through the PayPal Assistant (chat box) feature. I disputed the charge, selected "other" for the reason and ultimately wrote that "the product received was not as described". I DID receive a product, and I have attached images so you can see.

PayPal finally ruled in my favor and I will be receiving a refund. I strongly urge you all to do the same!

IMG_9090.JPG

@NeutronStar , @AceAcevedo , @TheCheatOSX 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

NeutronStar
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have called PayPal about these guys as well. I saw the bag, ordered it and have heard nothing.  PayPal has been very responsive and told me the seller has until Nov. 5 to respond. I quoted some of your difficulties because I had seen your post before contacting paypal. I mentioned that I had not agreed to to do a kickstarter program with my money and I also mentioned that they said your product was already being shippled. Paypal will ask for the tracking number and follow it until delivery.  The story continues.

Login to Me Too

AceAcevedo
New Community Member
I ordered same product on 10/22 and received an email that the product was shipped on 11/3. On 11/16, contacted customer service and received email from “Kammy” that said not to worry, preparing to ship order out. Have yet to receive.
Login to Me Too

NeutronStar
Contributor
Contributor

Just to update you. PayPal has ruled in my favour because the seller could not provide a tracking number, even though they said they sent the product to me.  Of course, I have received nothing.  I await the return of my money.

Login to Me Too

TheCheatOSX
Contributor
Contributor

I also fell for this scam. I'm usually on guard against these sort of "deals" and I should have known better. I did receive tracking from the seller but it indicated it was delivered to a PO box in the same town name as mine but a different state. I also don't have a PO box. That's when I started a claim. PayPal just ruled against me stating the seller was able to provide tracking and proof of delivery. I have received nothing so now I'm looking at my options. 

Login to Me Too

gabenamorado
Contributor
Contributor

I got a product, and it was just an off-brand bike bag with the same concept as the one we intended to purchase, but far from being the actual product.

Login to Me Too

mofin827
New Community Member

Same thing is happening to me. They have provided me with three different tracking numbers that all say they were delivered on different days, to my address but with the wrong zip code. PayPal hasn't officially ruled against me yet but speaking with the assistant in chat, she told me it says it was delivered so contact the post office and see where they might have left it (clearly states in the locked parcel box) but there are 4 different company names (leaffin who I ordered from, the name it says should appear on my credit card statement, the name in PayPal and the name of the company that responded to them). It's 100% a fraud site, you only get canned responses and I have no hopes of seeing the product OR my money back, even though I've shown PayPal all the different pieces of information that don't add up. 

Login to Me Too

mkoven
Contributor
Contributor

Somewhere in this forum there is a link that describes the best way to get PayPal to refund your money which is the route I have attempted. You need to get your local post office to confirm the tracking numbers do not correspond to your home address. PayPal customer service told me if I can get that in writing from the post office, they would refund my money. I started this process back in December. My local post office did confirm the tracking numbers are for other address in my town, not mine. BUT they claim it is against policy for the post office to officially release such information in writing. Fortunately the post master at my post office was willing to escalate this to higher level management, supposedly the east coast regional USPS director. I am still waiting to hear back. In the meantime, however, my credit card company did credit me back the money as they believed my story.  Even though I have been made whole right now, I plan to fight this because it is not right for PayPal to back the scammers rather than their users.  

Login to Me Too
Solved

gabenamorado
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: Resolved!

After 5 attempts of disputing the transaction, I finally had some luck by going through the PayPal Assistant (chat box) feature. I disputed the charge, selected "other" for the reason and ultimately wrote that "the product received was not as described". I DID receive a product, and I have attached images so you can see.

PayPal finally ruled in my favor and I will be receiving a refund. I strongly urge you all to do the same!

IMG_9090.JPG

@NeutronStar , @AceAcevedo , @TheCheatOSX 

Login to Me Too

mkoven
Contributor
Contributor

Leaffin.net is a Chinese scam website. Avoid it! PayPal is currently still listed as a form of payment. I am in the claims process with PayPal to get my money back. I ordered an item on the website and the company claims to have shipped it to me. Sent me a tracking number that states the item was delivered to my mailbox. The item was way to big to fit in my mailbox and nothing was left at my door. The China Post/USPS tracking data has no street address and when I called my local post office they confirmed the tracking number was not associated with my address and they warned me this sounds like a scam. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.