One of my friends got scammed

aryan521
New Community Member

So a couple days back one of my friends met this guy online who said he was selling cheap iphones. So, one of my friends believed him and sent him the money on paypal as a service for an iphone. But, after the seller said he doesn't accept service and told him to send the payment as a gift for family/friends, and so my friend did so. Right after sending the payment the seller blocked my friend on any kind of social media and isn't responding his texts. The seller has about $530 of my friends money. Is there anything paypal can do about it? 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aryan521 

Sorry, there are no refunds or purchase protection on friends and family payments as it is considered a "gift" payment. They negated their PayPal protection by sending the money as friends and family.

If it is too good to be true, usually is. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

From previous scams like this that I’ve read about here, the Friends payment can’t be disputed via PayPal. You’d have to contact your bank or credit card company to dispute this. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.