On-line scam and Paypal is requesting an internal USPS document that it is impossible for me to get.

pharpe
Contributor
Contributor

I was involved in an online scam where my paypal account was charged but I received no receipt from the vendor and they provided a fake tracking number.  I reported all of the details and provided copies of my emails to the vendor.  

I on 12/2 I attempted to purchased a computer monitor from an online site and paid using Paypal. After submitting the transaction I never received confirmation or a receipt. I did get an email from Paypal that my account was charged. I submitted a request for a receipt via the website customer service link explaining the issue and asked for a confirmation and receipt for the order. I did not get any reply and sent additional emails to the contact email on the Paypal receipt and got no answers.  On 12/4/2019 there was an update on paypal with a tracking number. USPS tracking only shows the city and zip of the destination but not the full address.   I tracked the package, and when it was supposedly delivered, nothing actually arrived.  I have video evidence there was no delivery.

I contacted the post office and found out that the tracking number was spoofed. It was an real tracking number but for an unrelated package that was going to the same city and zip but not my address.   It was from Albany NY and sent to a comply different name and address. It was also only 1 ounce. (Mine was supposed to be a 27" monitor). 

At this point I filed a claim with paypal with all this info.  Paypal closed the case the next day without even talking to me or the seller.  They just said the item was delivered based on the fake tracking number.  I called and spoke to an Paypal agent and explained all of the detail again.  She said I needed to get an Intranet for from the USPS showing the details of the tracking number and upload that.  When I called USPS I was told that the Intranet for is an internal only document and they do not provide that to the public.

So in a case of clear documented fraud Paypal if requiring a document that it is impossible for me to obtain?  What do I do at this point?

Login to Me Too
120 REPLIES 120

Susan113
Contributor
Contributor

I never did get an Intranet form because this is a USPS internal document.  I even went into the post office to ask for one.  I was told nicely several times that they will not release this to the public.  Pay pal should not be asking for this form.  I was able to get an email letter from a postmaster stating that the tracking numbers did not go to my address. The numbers were evidently spoofed and this is mail fraud, which you can report through the USPS.  It took many messages to Paypal, every day, before some one finally seemed to take my case seriously.  I kept getting the same repeated information asking for this Intranet form, and had to keep telling them the post office would not give it to me.  It seemed like they didn't even read my messages.  I finally did get the right person and my money was refunded.

Login to Me Too

Deb_57
Same thing, same story with me. No Intranet form, unable to speak to anybody in person through PayPal it’s all been through a chat thread. And all different people respond to it with the same kind of response you got how sorry they are and to contact USPS for an Intranet form. USPS says they do not have such form to give to anybody and that PayPal should be able to log onto usps.com and see the tracking information Which includes the package information we’re in my case is it a small package. The only problem is that I ordered two lounge chairs for the pool area which first fall wouldn’t fit in a small package or would not of been processed through the post office. It is definitely frustrating
Login to Me Too

Mkm65
Contributor
Contributor
Federal trade commission and file a claim it’s going to take awhile but don’t stop.
Login to Me Too

floresangie146
Contributor
Contributor
I too have had this problem. My police friend told me to make a claim to the authorities and then once it is claimed they have to issue your money back. Also, maybe if enough of us can file a claim or report this to the Better Business Bureau we can stop this from happening again. I feel that PayPals protection policy only protects the seller from scamming and the buyer really loses out from any protection. Never will I buy from PayPal again and I'm telling everyone I know to do the same!! Email me a reply if you want to do something about this!!
Login to Me Too

Susan113
Contributor
Contributor

I have to agree that Paypal seems to be focused on protecting the seller probably because that's where they get their money.   However, when it comes to protecting a scammer, by doing this it makes them part of the scam!  I have been trying to get my money back since the beginning of July.   This is obviously a scam and I could have kept them from getting my money if while the payment was pending Pay pal would have let me cancel it.  I contacted them as soon as I was aware something was wrong, and tried to cancel the pending payment. I was told I had to contact the seller to do that.  You can't contact a scammer!

Now here I am weeks later in a dispute where they sided for the seller. This is because I received two tracking numbers saying the items were delivered to my door.  USPS confirmed that these tracking numbers went to two different addresses in my town, and I received nothing.   I knew something was wrong the day I received the tracking numbers, they state the items are delivered the same day they give them. Impossible for that to happen. Evidently they are spoofed.  Trying to get in touch with a real person at Paypal is impossible. Of course they blame covid for that! But taking several days to answer your messages and every time with a different person, so you need to repeat your information is inexcusable for a company like Paypal.   I plan to visit the post office to try one more time to get a Intranet document.  I do agree that this needs to be addressed and Paypal needs to be held accountable.

Login to Me Too

sereast
Contributor
Contributor

My case been close second time by PayPal. I contacted them just now and if they will do it again will contact my credit card.

Seem they using same template and not moving a finger to protect buyer.

Same story with Shopify - seller own the store and we have nothing to do with them, contact payment company, we can't provide more details. Seriously?

Nice duo - on provides room for scammers and another became money laundry.

Login to Me Too

Hauglie-mommy
New Community Member
Same thing happened to me, I ordered a vinyl reborn baby doll online using PayPal. $130 for a 17” lifelike baby doll. What we received was a 6” junk doll that came from dollar general. Not only did we have to spend an extra $30 to ship this junk doll back to China but PayPal denied our claim on the grounds that the seller didn’t receive the return even though the tracking information provided shows in transit to China. PayPal needs better protection for the buyers against these fraudulent companies. We all work hard for our money and sure none of us will accept wasting it because PayPal isn’t taking the extra steps to ensure we are protected.
Login to Me Too

kellykenne
Contributor
Contributor
The same exact thing happen to me this week as well. PayPal could care less about resolving the issue and or concern. I’m unsure of what “PayPal protection” means. I had to reach out to my bank for resolution. Good luck!
Login to Me Too

MarkSooner
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using PayPal for 18 years and they are totally different now compared to 2002.

They are all for the seller. The sellers are scamming people and PayPal won't protect the buyer.

I am protesting one where the seller has sent a USPS Tracking number that shows my package was delivered 16 days before I placed the order and PayPal wants the USPS FORM. I didn't get my package and I want my money refunded from a seller that is a LIAR.

This should be a no-brainer. They have also told me to check with my neighbors and file a report with the PD. You have got to be kidding me!

I ordered from Seller on July 29 and seller provides a Tracking number that states USPS delivered to my house on July 13.

Delivered 16 days before I ordered. Come on PPal. Help the Buyer.

Login to Me Too

Susan113
Contributor
Contributor

Hi... This is the same thing I am dealing with.  I used Paypal for years because I thought they would protect me from this type of thing.  At the very least my money would be returned if the item was never delivered.  I have been trying to get my money back since the beginning of July.  I cannot get anyone on the phone and all messages are answered by different people. So I end up repeating and repeating my issue and get no where.  It is simple to see that the USPS tracking number has been spoofed.  I had two tracking numbers given and the post office verified they went to two different addresses in my home town. None of them mine.   Several other red flags, the items were supposed to be sent from Amazon.  This order was not from Amazon. 2nd thing, the day I received the tracking numbers when clicked on them it stated the items were delivered at the same time!  This is impossible to happen.  
I know that this is a scammer and don't understand why Paypal is supporting a scam.    They keep insisting I need a intranet form and the Post office will not give me one, they say this is an internal form.  I am frustrated that I have to spend so much time and energy on this and don't want to see the scammer win.   How can we get Paypal to stop using its buyers this way.  This is so wrong. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.