On-line scam and Paypal is requesting an internal USPS document that it is impossible for me to get.

pharpe
Contributor
Contributor

I was involved in an online scam where my paypal account was charged but I received no receipt from the vendor and they provided a fake tracking number.  I reported all of the details and provided copies of my emails to the vendor.  

I on 12/2 I attempted to purchased a computer monitor from an online site and paid using Paypal. After submitting the transaction I never received confirmation or a receipt. I did get an email from Paypal that my account was charged. I submitted a request for a receipt via the website customer service link explaining the issue and asked for a confirmation and receipt for the order. I did not get any reply and sent additional emails to the contact email on the Paypal receipt and got no answers.  On 12/4/2019 there was an update on paypal with a tracking number. USPS tracking only shows the city and zip of the destination but not the full address.   I tracked the package, and when it was supposedly delivered, nothing actually arrived.  I have video evidence there was no delivery.

I contacted the post office and found out that the tracking number was spoofed. It was an real tracking number but for an unrelated package that was going to the same city and zip but not my address.   It was from Albany NY and sent to a comply different name and address. It was also only 1 ounce. (Mine was supposed to be a 27" monitor). 

At this point I filed a claim with paypal with all this info.  Paypal closed the case the next day without even talking to me or the seller.  They just said the item was delivered based on the fake tracking number.  I called and spoke to an Paypal agent and explained all of the detail again.  She said I needed to get an Intranet for from the USPS showing the details of the tracking number and upload that.  When I called USPS I was told that the Intranet for is an internal only document and they do not provide that to the public.

So in a case of clear documented fraud Paypal if requiring a document that it is impossible for me to obtain?  What do I do at this point?

Login to Me Too
120 REPLIES 120

Gurhan1975
Count me in. I will join the lawsuit.
Login to Me Too

Paeri
Contributor
Contributor
I will too
Login to Me Too

Petertango1

Count me in. Just got scammed a few days ago and paypal is asking me to do the leg work in creating a case. I thought that was their responsibility. ruled against me in favor of seller with little or no due diligenge. unbeliavable! Now the burden of proof is on me. Im in for class action since I believe they know about this problem and arer washing their hands so as not to deal with it..

Login to Me Too

dustyflair
Contributor
Contributor

YES!!! CONTAC ME ASAP before they delete this..[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]RICK

Login to Me Too

victim_of_scam
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly thing happened to me! It took 30 seconds for anyone to tell this is a scam (scammer provided a tracking number that item was actually shipped and received even before ordered), yet PayPal closed my case within 2 hours I opened it. Then the scammer provided another tracking with I know for a fact was bogus also, but PayPal asked me to get the Intranet form from USPS. I fed up with PayPal and reported them to Better Business Bureau and will get my money back from my credit company. It's not about the money, but the wasted time I have spent for such a ridiculous thing. I hate those scammers and PayPal's ignorance. I'm advocating all I can to boycott PayPal and also in hope to help more people to be aware of these kinds of scams.

Login to Me Too

Mahmoud6y
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing happened to me. Paypal is helping scammers scam customers and they are ok with as long as they make their cut from the sale. I WILL NEVER USE PAYPAL AGAIN.
Login to Me Too

Kelliegallop
Contributor
Contributor
I have this same issue, I have provided PayPal with a letter from our post master proving the package was not delivered to my address. I have filed three cases, one being mail fraud. Sadly PayPal does not care and continues, despite all of the proof provided, to provide all of their support for the scammers! My use of PayPal from now on will be very very sparse.
Login to Me Too

sereast
Contributor
Contributor

I received message "You can request an Intranet Form ..." I'm in Canada and we don't have USPS. As well tracking number provided is for China Post and destination is in UK, not in Canada. When I tried search this number in USPS it returns no such label. Sent my comments to support. So it is very frustrating because it is two and half month since dispute started.   

Login to Me Too

pharpe
Contributor
Contributor

I would suggest keep calling, escalate to a manager, and explain the situation nicely (hard to do I know) and hope you get someone sympathetic that will help you.  If not try again and again.   Following their standard protocol will get you no where.  It seems they are setup to make you jump through hoops, and drag out the process as long as possible, in hopes you will get frustrated and give up.  Their focus is clearly on protecting sellers not buyers. 

Login to Me Too

Mahmoud6y
Contributor
Contributor
Very true. Paypal “protects the Seller” because they make their cut from the transaction. I agree that being persistent with paypal could get you somewhere. I had another scam transaction (I am going to sound like somebody who is dumb and gets scammed every other day lol, but this is the world we live in right now, especially now in Covid times, scammers are on their A game) where I was supposed to get 2 “smart” watches, long story short, I received a dummy watch that the timer dials are actually drawn on haha. It was almost funny. Paypal was claiming that they can’t reverse the transaction BECAUSE “THE ITEM” was received lol. “THE ITEM”. So if they are selling a car and they send you a picture of it instead of the Actual Thing, paypal considers it as an “ITEM” received. SMH. I was told to return the “ITEM” to CHINA!!!!!!!!And that is the only case they would generate a refund. To add to the frustration, They only had that person’s address IN CHINESE. They kept saying that they will translate the address and send it to me. 2 months later, THEY ARE STILL TRANSLATING THE ADDRESS LOL. I am laughing now, but I was really frustrated. 700 messages later and 2 and half month when they saw that I was persistent they finally refunded me. Paypal is sneaky. Be aware of every transaction you make on it.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.