On-line scam and Paypal is requesting an internal USPS document that it is impossible for me to get.

pharpe
Contributor
Contributor

I was involved in an online scam where my paypal account was charged but I received no receipt from the vendor and they provided a fake tracking number.  I reported all of the details and provided copies of my emails to the vendor.  

I on 12/2 I attempted to purchased a computer monitor from an online site and paid using Paypal. After submitting the transaction I never received confirmation or a receipt. I did get an email from Paypal that my account was charged. I submitted a request for a receipt via the website customer service link explaining the issue and asked for a confirmation and receipt for the order. I did not get any reply and sent additional emails to the contact email on the Paypal receipt and got no answers.  On 12/4/2019 there was an update on paypal with a tracking number. USPS tracking only shows the city and zip of the destination but not the full address.   I tracked the package, and when it was supposedly delivered, nothing actually arrived.  I have video evidence there was no delivery.

I contacted the post office and found out that the tracking number was spoofed. It was an real tracking number but for an unrelated package that was going to the same city and zip but not my address.   It was from Albany NY and sent to a comply different name and address. It was also only 1 ounce. (Mine was supposed to be a 27" monitor). 

At this point I filed a claim with paypal with all this info.  Paypal closed the case the next day without even talking to me or the seller.  They just said the item was delivered based on the fake tracking number.  I called and spoke to an Paypal agent and explained all of the detail again.  She said I needed to get an Intranet for from the USPS showing the details of the tracking number and upload that.  When I called USPS I was told that the Intranet for is an internal only document and they do not provide that to the public.

So in a case of clear documented fraud Paypal if requiring a document that it is impossible for me to obtain?  What do I do at this point?

Login to Me Too
120 REPLIES 120

AJM5
Contributor
Contributor
I ordered a bike online through pay pal and received a die. PayPal denied my claim because they have proof we received our package. I said yes a die. Not a bike. The asked for an intranet form too. Unable to get it. Now I’m just disputing through my bank. Got my money back and will likely not use PayPal again. Especially since they are knowingly allowing fraud to happen. Disappointed.
Login to Me Too

Deb_57
I’m with you on that one… I ordered lounger chairs for our pool area and got a ring. Not even a good ring just as piece of cheap metal. Same thing because tracking shows something was delivered through the post office USPS they’re looking for the Intranet form. The post office says they don’t have an intranet form to give me. They said PayPal can log onto usps.com and put in the tracking number to see the tracking which also shows that what was put into the mailbox was a small package. They can’t figure out that lounger chairs don’t fit in your mailbox?
Login to Me Too

Temp20230526CE
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry but at this point all I can do is laugh....I too made a bogus purchase and was provided a wack tracking number. I filed a dispute and paypal found in favor of the seller. I know right, surprise surprise! **bleep** I WILL NEVER USE PAYPAL AGAIN.....and oh yeah, I went straight to my bank and they refunded the money, now Paypal put limitations on my account (not that I care because I'm done using Paypal), but they won't let me close my account either. Paypal is awesome! NOT.

Login to Me Too

sberry55
Contributor
Contributor

Same here.   I am working with the postal inspector and they are building cases against Paypal as they are purposefully requesting us to do something that is illegal.   That other tracking number is someone personal information and it would be a violation of their privacy.   The fact that the scammer is using it makes the scam a postal fraud case and the fact that paypal is using it as evidence against their very customers makes them culpable.   Does anyone know a good class action attorney?  

Login to Me Too

monty2020
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal asked me to go get the intranet form for a tracking number for something that didn't ship to me. I can only get USPS to tell me it shipped to the same zip code and it's a package of 11oz, not a bicycle that I ordered. I wrote a blog that one can google, monty yao scammed, about the details. I will write a follow blog about PayPal being covering up for the scammer. I do think it's time someone bring a class action against PayPal on this very topic. I do not want to go figure out someone else's tracking information.

Login to Me Too

Temp20230526CE
Contributor
Contributor

Had paypal shut down the scammer that I did business with when they scammed the previous person, then I wouldn't have been a victim to their trap. I wonder how many people have been scammed after me?

Paypal is complicit. They hold the money. I bet there are hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions that sit idle while customers dispute for 30 days.

It's unacceptable. Surely they are earning interest on this money while it sits. That would be interesting to know, if true.

I went to my bank and my bank refunded the money in a couple days.

Now, paypal has limited my account until I re-verify my bank account (which I'm not doing). I want to close my account, are you kidding me!? Delete my payment information while you're at it Paypal. 

Login to Me Too

MollyWhitebear
Contributor
Contributor

And, here we are, April 21, 2021 and the same scam is still being condoned by Paypal. I have already filed against my particular scammer with my bank, with the Postal Inspector General and now the FBI's ic3 complaint. And Paypal is still sitting back collecting millions probably.

Login to Me Too

Temp20230526CE
Contributor
Contributor

nice blog Monty. I hope you are able to get some momentum exposing these major websites putting people at risk. They should have the responsibility to make a greater effort to reduce fraud. 

Login to Me Too

pharpe
Contributor
Contributor

That is great Monty.  You would think that PayPal would default to protecting customers.   Put the burden of proof on the scammer to provide evidence that the package was delivered to the actually buyers address with the correct item and not the other way around.  

Login to Me Too

victim_of_scam
Contributor
Contributor

@Monty. I will join you in the law suit against PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.