Old, closed (hacked) paypal account taking money from bank account!

Urbanspaceman
Contributor
Contributor

My 19 year-old daughter's paypal account was hacked at the beginning of January.....

The Hackers drained her paypal account, and also took all the money from her linked debit card!  The bank spotted this suspicious activity, and blocked the payments....She received threats from the hackers, who changed her password (effectively locking her out of her account) and eventually she had an e-mail from Paypal saying that the account had been closed......

She created a NEW paypal account, using  a new debit card number, new user name and new password. The only detail that stayed the same was her mobile phone number.

Today she had a text from her bank that she is over-drawn! A number of repetitive payments have been taken out by Paypal, by the same user name as the previous hack. This time (inexplicably) the bank did not flag the activity as suspicious and paid out the money!

Now, logging into her new Paypal account, it is in credit and there is no record of these deductions......So we are thinking that the hackers have somehow re-opened her OLD paypal account, and have managed to draw money from her OLD Bank debit card! How is this even possible? How did they re-open a closed PP account, and how did they draw cash against an old debit card?

My daughter has been in tears about this all day.....It has really been the last straw on top of the other problems in her life at the moment...

Any advice would be appreciated!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.