Odd request for refund

Lizzie_03
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I sent a payment to my dogsitter back in June and she just now advised me that she is unable to accept the payment because she isn't 18. How do I get that money refunded back to me so I can send her payment another way?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lizzie_03 

If the payment is not claimed in 30 days, the funds will automatically be returned to you so make sure the payment status remains at Pending and "unclaimed" on your end. If payment status is categorized as "Completed" then, the funds would be stuck in daughter's account until she is 18 and contact customer service to get a new account opened and move funds over if possible or you contact customer service as her parent/guardian to see if you can get the funds reversed back to you.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Lizzie_03
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker Thanks for your response however, I don't think I see any refunds for that amount that I sent her in June. She sent me a screenshot of what it shows on her end and it only gives her the option to accept the money but she cannot because she isn't 18. On my end, I only see that it says Money Sent with no option to cancel. Do you think the next best thing to do is have Paypal issue me the refund? I read somewhere on here that her mom can get an account and she can be under her, I wonder how complicated that would be. I would still need to get that $50 back though so I can pay her. 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lizzie_03 

If the payment is marked as "Money Sent" and listed in the "Completed" (not Pending) category on the Activity page? Then the funds are stuck on your daughter's end. Like I said, you'll have to contact customer service as her parent/guardian to see if you can have them reverse the payment.

PayPal got rid of student/minor accounts a few years ago so users these days have to be 18 and over to operate an account, period.  They ask for SSN/DOB in order for the money to be accepted and the info has to be valid and verifiable with national databases/agencies.

To contact customer service for assistance:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Keep in mind that PayPal may be reluctant to discuss another PayPal account with you so keep it about your account. That, you sent a payment out to your daughter's account but she is underage who didn't know she was supposed to be 18 to use PayPal and you wish to have that payment reversed and see what they say. Be prepared to be told that the funds will be stuck there until your daughter is 18 and she can call customer service to get the situation sorted at that time

Login to Me Too

Lizzie_03
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker  she is not my daughter I said DOGSITTER LOL So, she will have to call and cancel on her end right?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lizzie_03 

LOL Oh! Whoops, my mistake!

Unfortunately, the funds will definitely be stuck. It's not your problem anymore. Dogsitter will have to wait until they're 18 to get at the money. You paid as friends and family so you can't even dispute the money back to send it another way. I was going to suggest you dispute the funds back since it was for dog sitting but you said you saw the payment status as "Money Sent" which indicates a friends and family payment. That's why its important to pay as goods and services (categorized as Payment Sent) instead of friends and family (categorized as Money Sent) when paying for goods and services.

If the dog sitter calls PayPal and tells them she is under age, they first will limit her account right away so she can sort it out when she's 18 but perhaps she can ask for PayPal to reverse the payment but if they won't or can't, the funds will be stuck for the time being.

Login to Me Too

Lizzie_03
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker Thanks so much this is very helpful, I appreciate it 🙂 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.