Not allowed my account???

Pü
Contributor
Contributor

Okay long rant ahead, bare with me;

So summer last year I had an issue with an eBay transaction which I needed resolved. When I eventually got through to a human at PayPal, we resolved the issue, but he found out I was only 17 years old. I did start the account when I was under 18, which I accept was my fault (though we both blamed the poor Ts &Cs) and he needed to do something. He told he this wasn’t a big issue, and that he would have to limit the account but if I upload proof of age and address (passport and driver’s license) I would have the account back on my 18th birthday.

I turned 18 in September 2018 and nothing happened. Almost 7 months later and I messaged PayPal on Twitter, asking them to look at it. After a very difficult conversation, they came to the conclusion that the man I spoke to had permanently limited the account, and I could never have it back. They told me he can’t have understood I was under 18, to which I said of course he understood, that’s why he limited it... They are now saying I can’t have the account back, and I also can’t close the account and open a new one with my email address.

Has anyone had a similar experience or know which staff member is right? The whole situation has really annoyed me. 

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pü 

You would never be able to have an illegally opened account ie one opened underage.

You would also never be able to close it or use any email addresses or bank account / cards linked to that account.

However once you are over 18 Paypal normally allow you to open a new account as long as you use another email address etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Pü
Contributor
Contributor

That’s exactly what the twitter person is telling me, however what I don’t understand is why someone from PayPal spent an hour last year telling me what to do in order to get my account back when there was no chance of this happening. I uploaded my evidence (which clearly shows I am 18 now) but when I eventually got an email last week they said they had reviewed the evidence and “determined you are not yet 18” which is incorrect, so I am not trusting PayPal’s competence at the moment. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pü 

When you speak to an 'agent' you don't always get correct information, I have lost count of the number of times they have given wrong info either because....they don't know....are reading from the wrong script....are new....???

However I do know that you can never re-use an illegally made underage account.

However paypal do allow you to open another one with a new email address once you are 18 but you can't use any of the information linked to that old account.

If you choose not to believe me then thats fine.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Pü
Contributor
Contributor
Of course I believe you, at no point did I challenge you. I only said that it made no sense that I was being told contradicting things by different people, and you’ve now explained that basically PayPal staff are incompetent and it sounds like they receive very little policy training, so thank you for that insight.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.