Non-refunded transaction from fraudulent activity

Urbensaintz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, I have been dealing with the Limitations team and aloof 'Back Office' teams for three months, trying to get a £90 payment refunded to my account, after my account was hacked by some person(s) in July/August. Essentially, I had approximately 15 transactions fraudulently paid to other individuals, 14 of which were cancelled or refunded, but one of £90 has not. PayPal keep telling me I authorised the payment, because of an IP Address, even though I called to get a stop placed on the account 3 days before the money was transferred. Basically I've spent 100's of hours waiting for call backs or being in phone queue, trying to prove that I didn't access my account during that time and would not authorise a payment to a person (Jon Ton) that I don't know, but they have refused to refund me the money, giving me the only option of writing a letter to their head office in the U.S. Not an email, a letter! What I can tell you, irrespective of IP addresses linked to transactions, is that I did not authorise any payments from 14th Aug - 3rd Sept. Previously to that I had to reset all passwords etc on my PayPal account and order a new bank card back in July due to me stupidly clicking on a phishing text, and giving details, so this whole thing probably goes back to then. Apart from the terrible customer service from the Back Office, and wasted time and energy I've spent, I'm most disappointed that when calling up in July AND on 24th Aug (when I got promised my account had a limitation put on it) I wasn't offered to increase the security on the account by adding the two-step login feature that would have avoided this whole situation, but this was only offered to me in September. When, in late Aug/early Sept, I noticed money coming out of my Co-op bank account to PayPal, I was like wt#!! Then I got told the representative I spoke to on 24th Aug didn't do the right thing on the system, but don't worry we'll get it all sorted. I was also asked not to delete 'Jon <removed>, Omar <removed>, and Dagreazy <removed>' as contacts from the account so your fraud team could more easily track them. I do not know those individuals, have never purchased items from them, and have never authorised payments to them. So when my £91 balance (prior to 14th Aug) wasn't restored, I got told, I'm sorry the £90 to Jon <removed> on the 27th Aug was authorised by me!!! I told them that I didn't access my account and explained the whole story (about 15 times) but because the 'Back Office' only look at individual payments, rather than the bigger picture, they will not refund me the money because of the IP Address (I explained that somehow they must have been able to access it? idk! I'm not knowledgeable about these things, but I know I didn't authorise the transaction! I can also inform you that these individuals applied for a PayPal Credit application on the 24th Aug, which for some ridiculous reason was approved, and they totalled £240 odd of Uber transactions in Oct - this was all refunded, but it's just more evidence that I have been hacked by these people, so why would I authorise a payment to one of them? It's the most idiotic notion. Like, telling someone who's house is being burgled that they won't be able to have their tv back because the computer says they handed it to the robbers on the way out, when actually they were tied up and gagged in the basement at the time! I've tried the Help Centre, Customer service, and Twitter help but no one has been able to help me, even though most of the representatives agree with me! My next step is to contact the Business Ombudsmen (which is a complaints option I wasn't given by PayPal), and complaining to the head office in the U.S. as a matter of principle! If you can help me, I will be most helpful. Kind Regards, Ben <removed>

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.