No refund from PayPal even though I tried in every way possible to contact them .

Mrscrimbo
Contributor
Contributor
Hi has anyone else been refused a refund from PayPal as it’s exceeded the 180 day policy but I could not in any way contact them ? My daughter ordered Yeezys at Christmas 2020 from a company called Yeezysmalls.com which turned out to be fake. £150 for nothing no email (didn’t exist ) address Chinese takeaway in Cardiff phone mail box full so tried to contact PayPal in resolution centre which kept saying error when trying to send message and logged me out of my account same with message centre and no answer on payPal contact number. I have tried this on and off for almost six months with much frustration and financial loss. Eventually I got an answer on the phone today only to be told it’s now just passed the 180 days and unfortunately I can’t be refunded now I’m absolutely fuming as none of this was through any fault of my own but theirs since saw lots of complaints on PayPal about this scam website . I told PayPal that I thought that buyer protection prevented a transaction from going ahead on a scam website and that they should have stopped this transaction but I got nowhere but sorry unfortunately !!!! I’m so angry surely there must be others out there who couldn’t contact PayPal too . I think this is just total nonsense and using the pandemic as an excuse for limited staff and not dealing with their customers. Thankyou .
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mrscrimbo 

Literally thousands of folks have filed disputes after being scammed with these China or Social Media sites.

So if all of those can easily open a dispute for non receipt of item by clicking on the transaction and then clicking on resolve a problem on that details page and opening a dispute then why couldn't you within 6 months? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mrscrimbo
Contributor
Contributor
Hi the reason I couldn’t contact PayPal to resolve this scam was mentioned in my original post. I tried in both my account and my daughters PayPal account in the resolution centre, message centre and telephone. Every time I tried to send my messsage an error occurred message appeared and immediately logged me out of my account and after logging straight back in had to send it again and again with the same happening over and over again. When phoning it either rang out or or gave an unavailable tone CONSTANTLY!!!! So it certainly was not for the lack of trying and now I’ve lost £150 . As for these scam Chinese websites if PayPal is and was completely aware of these and this one in particular then why did they allow this transaction to go ahead in the first place? Buyer protection is supposed to do just that and this transaction should have been blocked before or at time of purchase. I am still livid and quite frankly extremely dissapointed at the outcome and also your attitude in your comment.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mrscrimbo 

You don't have to send Paypal a message to open a dispute, you just click on resolve a problem on the details page and open one yourself in the resolution centre.

Sorry but can't see that you couldn't manage that in 6 months.

Did you try another browser or device only that often sorts any techie glitches.

I've known folks that have had to wait a few days but never anyone that couldn't open one in 6 months !!

You could have also come on here for advice on opening a dispute OR contacting customer services. 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

Paypal would not be able to check every individual seller / merchant / company in over 200 countries worldwide that adds paypal to their website to accept payments.
So they give you 'some' buyer protection but the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions.

They do stop bad companies from using Paypal when enough claims start rolling in.
However as they are in China (mostly) then its easy for them to just start over with a new name, so stopping them does not really do anything.

The best thing is to not buy from them in the first place, to recognise them -

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.