Nickname BS

v_sdal
New Community Member
when i first signed up I didn't know I had to use my legal name to sign up and used my nickname since I HATE my name. when i tried to use my money it said my account had been limited for no reason and that i had to provide them with information. i provided them with my ID but don't have any of the other documentation they ask for since i live in a risky condition and they refuse to let me access my account after months of trying. i need the money for an urgent matter and PayPal has refused to cooperate at all. how do i disable the restrictions when all i did was make an innocent mistake?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@v_sdal 

Sorry, security is tightening up these days with PayPal accounts and you must be able to prove you own this account and the money in it.  If the name on the account does not match your documents, then they simply can't lift the limits. Your best bet is to update your nick name to your legal name in the account settings (gear icon) if it'll allow you to.

There are many threads about this in the forums, and this is money we're talking about; why some people decide to use a name that they can't prove is them is beyond thought. It's your money so it should be under your name, not under a fictional name or someone else's name or you risk losing it. And PayPal don't want someone to come to them later and ask, why you gave my money to someone else?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

v_sdal
New Community Member
first thing i tried was to update my name to my legal name but it wouldn't let me and i seriously can't lose that money
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@v_sdal 

The documents you supply have to match your paypal name if they don't then you can't change the name.

You can only change the name for a minor typo or for legal reasons ie marriage.

As you can't do that then your best bet is to ask the person who sent the funds to open a dispute if they can to get their funds back and then send them to you another way.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.