New Scam Technique? - Mailing fake package to wrong address

SR207
Contributor
Contributor

It appears that there is a major loophole in buyer protections. Businesses can mail a small fake package (too small to contain a purchased item) to an incorrect address in the same shipping zip code as the buyer's mailing address. The item gets marked as 'delivered' though nothing actually ends up getting delivered. Paypal doesn't seem to have a mechanism for dealing with this situation. In trying to get a refund ticket through it can't get beyond the 'delivered' status. It seems crazy to me that Paypal can't enforce a refund when an item is shipped (probably on purpose) to the incorrect address.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Is it a newly rising form of eCommence scamming? I'd always felt like I could trust paypal on buyer protections, but it may be falling behind the curve on this one.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SR207 

Thats why you have to risk assess who you are purchasing from and avoid Asian/China scam websites.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SR207
Contributor
Contributor

Sure, but if that's what it comes down to, then PayPal doesn't really offer real buyer protection. This scam scenario makes it possible to spend money on a product via PayPal with no repercussions on the seller for never actually delivering it to the buyer. Seems like a good reason to defect to Amazon which has way more robust protections. Any advice or ideas on proceeding in this kind of situation?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SR207 

Paypal offers 'some' seller and 'some' buyer protection and the rest of it is up to us to risk assess who we are purchasing from.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.