Need help with a return - NO ONE available at Paypal AT ALL!!!!!

kip694
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an item on Ebay that (kind of expensive) that did not match the description.  At first, the seller appeared to be difficult and refused to do a return.  I filed a dispute with Paypal, but of course, got no answer back.  Then the seller contacted me and said he would accept the return this time.  He told me to go to my Ebay page and click on the 'return this item' link, and he would issue the refund.  However, when I go to Ebay and click on the 'return this item' link, it lets me put in the reason, then it asks for further explanation in the box.  When I click on 'submit,' I get the message that "Paypal won't allow a return.  Contact the seller.'  I can only figure this is because there is an open dispute.  But there is NO WAY to cancel, update, or close the dispute.  I have been on hold to chat with a Paypal representative for 11 hours, collectively, but of course, no one answers.  What can I do to fix this since Paypal is obviously not going to help?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kip694 

Not sure why you did not file an Ebay dispute first as then the seller would have had to pay your return shipping.

However as you have opened a paypal one then did you escalate the dispute to a claim?

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-escalate-a-dispute-to-a-claim-faq822?app=search...

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kip694
Contributor
Contributor

Because there was NO response from Paypal when I filed the dispute, and because the seller did contact me back and offer a refund (finally), I cancelled the dispute (it is showing cancelled), then went it to try to do the refund from the Ebay link.  I cancelled the dispute because I knew it would take at least 10 days (if Paypal was functioning correctly), and no telling HOW many days with this COVID-thing going on.  I thought it would be faster to just do the refund.  The shipping wasn't that much.  But now I can't do either.  It seems that because there HAS been a dispute (even though it is now closed and was never resolved), I have made it much worse, and now I can't even ask for a refund.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kip694 

Paypal would not respond to any paypal DISPUTE, they don't get involved until you escalate the dispute to a CLAIM.

You aren't allowed to open 2 disputes, you can open either an ebay or a paypal dispute, you chose paypal and then instead of escalating it you closed it.

All i can suggest is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then see if they can help you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.