Need help getting closed PayPal account reopened

Carolyn252
Contributor
Contributor

Our adult son is an authorized user of the same  Chase VISA credit card that my husband and I use.  On Wednesday, November 13,  2019,  our son received an email from Chase Bank.  The email was entitled Fraud Alert and stated that a merchant’s charge exceeded the purchase price limit that he had set as a trigger for an alert to be sent to him.  That charge was NOT a PayPal charge.  It was charged to his entirely separate Chase Bank debit card (not our shared credit card) that is linked to his Chase checking account.  He immediately phoned Chase Bank and resolved that matter to his satisfaction.  During that same phone call, the Chase Bank agent asked him if he recognized the merchants that were paid via our shared credit card for the past several months, going back as far as August of 2019).

Our son recognized some of the transactions’ merchants, but not others.   Some of the transactions were made using the <removed> VISA credit card directly (not via PayPal) and some other transactions were made via PayPal (which then drew the funds from the shared Chase VISA credit card.

Our son then phoned PayPal to alert them to the several paid-through-PayPal merchants whose names he did not recognize.

Our son then immediately phoned us and explained the situation and told us about the PayPal charges that he thought were unauthorized.   However, my husband and I recognized every one of those merchants and their charges.   We advised our son that the charges were, in fact, mine and my husband’s and that they were authorized, legitimate charges. All three of us were very relieved that the PayPal account was secure and had not been breached in any way.

The next day, I attempted to open my PayPal account pages online and found that my account had been closed down and was no longer available for use.  I can still open the activity page and the summary page, but my husband and I can no longer use PayPal to make purchases online.  I phoned PayPal several times over the next few days and explained the entire situation.  The agents all sympathized with me but stated that they had no way to reinstate our PayPal account.

I then searched online for advisements on how to proceed and consequently contacted the PayPal corporate offices via email to the PayPal Executive Office and to the PayPal Executive Escalations Department and I also sent a letter  to PayPal, Inc. Legal Department <removed>, San Jose, CA 95131 via the United States Postal Service.

I respectfully requested that because my husband and I have not engaged in any high risk behavior, and have not engaged in any fraud or suspicious behavior, and have not caused PayPal to lose any money, our PayPal account should be restored to us.

The entire situation was simply a miscommunication.  If our son had spoken to us first, before he reacted to the alert email from Chase Bank, he never would have contacted PayPal because we would have assured him that all the PayPal charges were authorized, correct and legitimate.

I have not heard back from anyone at PayPal. This is all so frustrating.  We've had our one and only PayPal account for almost ten years.  I use it quite a lot for my personal online shopping.  I don't feel secure buying things online by giving out my credit card information to all those sellers. 

Anyone have any advice as to how to proceed in trying to get my PayPal account reinstated?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Carolyn252
Contributor
Contributor

I so appreciate your kindness in replying and trying to help.  Before receiving your reply, I found a suggestion that I try posting my dilemma as a private message on the Facebook page for PayPal.  I did so, and within an hour or two I got a reply from a PayPal agent "Michael" who said he'd read through my situation and try to resolve it.  A couple of hours later, I got a wondrous email from PayPal saying that they reinstated my account!!!   I am deliriously happy.  Thank you again.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Carolyn252 

Did you try opening a case via bbb.org under PayPal San Jose CA to reach PayPal's Office of Executive Escalations for a review of your case?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too
Solved

Carolyn252
Contributor
Contributor

I so appreciate your kindness in replying and trying to help.  Before receiving your reply, I found a suggestion that I try posting my dilemma as a private message on the Facebook page for PayPal.  I did so, and within an hour or two I got a reply from a PayPal agent "Michael" who said he'd read through my situation and try to resolve it.  A couple of hours later, I got a wondrous email from PayPal saying that they reinstated my account!!!   I am deliriously happy.  Thank you again.

Login to Me Too

skyride
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar account closure I’m still trying to get resolved. They’ve opened and closed it a couple times when my FCU stopped accepting auto pay. I have an excellent payment history and had built up a bit of credit. I really liked the 6 mos no interest. But my account is still closed. this post was helpful.  How do i get ahold of someone to look over this case? 

Login to Me Too

santosj8118
New Community Member

I know I am only disputing a 12.99 amount which is suppose to be not a big deal. But this scam is so obvious and someone needs to do something about it. My case number is Case ID: PP-D-115559530. I purchased a pdf book. Paid the amount then waited for the pdf file download option. But it did not appear. It did not send me an email but they have a confirmation number and a tracking number for delivery. I filed a dispute right away because how will you deliver a digital pdf file? Filed a case on paypal but was denied. It is because they have a tracking number for delivery. So the "package" was declared delivered. I went to my old physical address though I know it is stupid to look for a pdf file delivered. NONE! Even a piece of paper, nothing was delivered. Now, I can' t reopen a closed case. I can't file another one. Do you see how this works now?! They provide a bogus tracking number for delivery so the case will be denied. And can't open a closed case. What should I do? Did I mentioned that I emailed the merchant and received no response????! This is just for 12.99 . I consider my self lucky. But what if this is for something more? Please help!

Login to Me Too

CarolynRush
Contributor
Contributor

Still haven't received item and never heard from PayPal . now my claim is closed. Why? It wasn't resolved. Can't respond to seller . different language. Help. I want it cancelled. My money put back on my account 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.