Need advice, Digital river unauthorized pay, how to tighten security?

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too
227 REPLIES 227

mickr67
Contributor
Contributor

i too have been scammed with the same thing and after going on google there are loads of people that have also been scammed the thing is paypal obviously knows the company didgital river ireland ltd yet still allow it to do daylight robbery infront of plain sight and do nothing to stop it 

i think its time to close pay pal as it is obviously not a safe thing to use 

the reality is its happened three times without me even knowing  until today when looking through emails so reported it and now they have closed my dispute yet i didnt know or allow them to take the money

and when you try contact paypal regarding the problem they refuse to deal with it its just blocks you

Login to Me Too

chaichan32
Contributor
Contributor

I had been using Paypal for more than decade, and I trusted the company, but this incident keep me away from paypal. I am going to close my paypal account as I can no longer trust this company. I've never allowed the digital river ireland Ltd. to withdraw about $50 from my paypal account but paypal allowed them unauthorized payment without my permission. Paypal refused to refund the money, and close the case immediately. You should never trust paypal now.

Login to Me Too

Ashgul
New Community Member

@chaichan32 @EricDarosa @mickr67 Digital river ireland Ltd - This charge could be due to a Mcafee virus protection software service purchase. I believe I found it and it was genuine.

Login to Me Too

Pennylonglane
New Community Member

I have recently allowed my AVG virus protection to be automatically renewed. Could this account for the £49.99 charge listed as paid to Digital River on my credit card statement? I have never heard of Digital River but if McAfee use them maybe AVG do too.

Login to Me Too

xleap
Contributor
Contributor

I JUST NOW DEDUCTED BY 49.99$ AND I DONT EVEN SUBSCRIBE TO THAT COMPANY ITS JUST AUTOMATICALLY DEDUCTED ME HOPE U RESOLVE THIS ISSUE AND HAVE MORE FURTHER ASSISTANT AND HOPE MORE SUCURE FEATURES ON HOW TO PREVENT THIS KIND OF TRANSACTION

DIGITAL RIVER IRELAND LTD . IS A SCAM

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@xleap

Digital river is an ecommerce payment company. They don't fraudulently take your money. They partner with companies like Samsung, Microsoft, razr, McAfee, avast, etc. If you buy from those websites, your charge may show up as from digital river. They also handle subscriptions. A lot of times what happens is people accept a free trial for a product, like anti virus, and forget to cancel and it auto renews. Be careful what you are accepting Again...Digital river just handles the orders and payments submitted by partner companies.

Check in here to see if you had a subscription set up.............

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sassyfrass1

I had a similar charge attempted just this morning for $69.99. I have not ordered anything nor have I tried any type of free trial. I just happened to get a text from PayPal about it this morning . When I went to the website for digital river it couldn't find my order. Will be notifying my card issuer Monday. This is the text messege I got . PayPal: Your card issuer declined your payment. No other methods worked. Update how you pay DigitalRiver US Inc at <removed> $69.99 USD More details sent by email.

Login to Me Too

Judiann
Contributor
Contributor

Digital River is for Avast Computer Security, but this is not authorized by me... it was to be cancelled since I now have other protection for my computer.  They have been told to cancel any subscriptions and to discontinue service from them.  Thanks!  Judy Franken

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Judiann 

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mickr67
Contributor
Contributor

I just happened to get an email saying that a transaction for 39.99 had come from my paypal account to a company call digital river ireland ltd  so reported it to paypal as it was not me who authorised it and without me knowing its happended in the past also

since reporting it paypal they have closed the case and i cant even contact them regarding it 

after searching google it turns out that it is indeed a big scam and happened to loads of people so if that is the case why is it still allowed to happen and not blocked by  paypal   it is obviously known dam well by them that it is happening

here is the link from google about the scam and basically they totally ignore it  and continue to let them do robbery in plain sight

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-Limitations/I-was-recently-scammed-on-Paypal-and-th...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.