Need advice, Digital river unauthorized pay, how to tighten security?

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too
227 REPLIES 227

Danglin
Contributor
Contributor
Same happened to me. Two dedudction on same day. Payal seemed to have no knowledge of the transaction just that it occurred but no other details.
Login to Me Too

Judiann
Contributor
Contributor

I had a confirmation pop up for PayPal to Digital River...  I am not familiar with this company and I have been at my computer the last 4+ hours and have not ordered anything.  Please advise... I do not want to pay for something that I did not order or authorize.  Thanks,<removed>

Login to Me Too

Mcbeejns
New Community Member
This just happened to me and I disputed it with PayPal and they denied my claim. I know I didn’t buy anything from these people and they charged me close to 200 dollars.
Login to Me Too

TheWookieWay
New Community Member

similar issue, but it was from Avast and auto renew was enabled.. thus "agreed to" but ... it was mar 14 the first year, mar 4 the 2nd year, they said they would email me before it went through, got an email on Feb 12 , 2018 that said it would renew on Feb 27th (or expire on mar 14) , so I thought i had time, but on Feb 14 (just past midnight on the 13th) the charge went through early!  I will be contacting Avast to take care of this tomorrow. (or in a few hours when they are open) .. 

Login to Me Too

nippi

did you ever get your moneys back ho toke my 50€

Login to Me Too

ty-reprah

Hi,

I just purchased Desktop Reminder 2 Pro and I paid through these two companies with PayPal:

Seller of the product: Publisher:
Digital River GmbH
<removed>

Publisher:
Polenter - Software Solutions
<removed>

This was an email surprise as the actual purchase site was 

<removed> I noticed something odd about the email invoice.  It had 10% GST added and charged.  In Australia we have GST, but in Germany and the US they have VAT and sales tax, though not at the 10 % on the statement.   I am pursuing this through the ACCC in Australia.  The Australian Tax Office (ATO) does not have the jurisdiction to collect tax on a product not sold within Australia's borders and sold by a company not based in Australia.  I am an Australian citizen. This seems fishy to me.  It is obvious that Digital River is going to pocket this money.  There is no structure in place to remit the money to the ATO. I am also going to contact the authorities in Germany and the US (it was paid in USD).  This is obvious fraud. Ty

Login to Me Too

Temp20221014O
New Community Member

Hi

I have been charged from my credit card for 2 payments although I have never visited this site. Also when I have tried to look for my orders I have given my email address and last 4 digits of Credit card it shows no records found. I do not have any order number to search for. My Credit card billing shows 2 payments for the months of Feb and March 2018. Could you please suggest what needs to be done?

Login to Me Too

Tina-Rich123
New Community Member
I’ve had the same this morning! How did you resolve this In the end?
Login to Me Too

Shansiggers

I have same thing today.  I have never bought any thing from Digital River Ireland or anyone using their facilities.  They have also tried to take the money from a paypal account that I have not used for many years which does not have a valid bank card attached to it.  Quite worrying that the email looks like a genuine email from paypal but if I click on any of the information ie. details of what I have allegedly ordered, no information is available.  

Whilst I am not too concerned because there is no way any money can be taken from this account it does make me worry that this company would be able to get into my current paypal account that I do use regularly and that has my bank details on it.

Can Paypal shed any light on how this has occurred and how I can protect my active account.

Login to Me Too

Janet1141
Contributor
Contributor

Iv also had an email off this company but no money has been taken out ATM .I have never used or clicked onto anything off thus account .I hope the bank doesn't let them take money out.  I don't want to click on the manage account\cancellation that's on the email just in case it sends info if my bank details .

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.