Need advice, Digital river unauthorized pay, how to tighten security?

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too
227 REPLIES 227

Wishingmoon
Contributor
Contributor
Like many others I've been alarmed to find Digital River have taken two payments from my acccount without my authorisation via an alleged pre aranged agreement which is as much a misery as the withdrawals. Cool scam!! More concerning is that PayPal return my enquiries with iìnstruction to pursue my case via navigation through their system which is as user friendly as a rubicub.
Login to Me Too

DarkCloud111
New Community Member

I too had the same initial thoughts as most people here. I got a charge to my account from Digital River Ireland and could not rationalize it. I too thought it was a scam. But when i delved deeper into the amount and went tyhrough my accounts I found out what it was.

Microsoft Software uses that service when you buy software from them. So the charge was legit.

I do agree that a better identifier shaouldf be posted for the transaction.

Login to Me Too

fisheye
Contributor
Contributor

I agree that some better ID for the transactions would be useful.  I had a $159 transaction on my CC records that I didn't recognise and was about to lay a complaint.  But I went to DRI's website first and entered my last four CC numbers and tried a few different email addresses to retrieve the purchase information - turns out my wife bought my son a Razer mouse for his birthday and Razer process through DRI.  So completely legit transaction; just a bit unclear.

Login to Me Too

CravanvsCravan
Contributor
Contributor

It happened to me, that a Digital River Ireland, Ltd have been pre- approved a payment with not my allowance, so it's so strange because I've never made any transaction , the only company I use to pay for is Spotify, but I finished paying Spotify by Paypal for that insecure procedure of a strange Pre-approved. I also have unlink my bank account from Paypal... this strange company (Digital River Ireland, Ltd) wanted £ 39.99.

I won't link again my bank account till this kind of thing never happen again.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Don't know if this may help people find out who Digital River processed payment for:

https://www.findmyorder.com/sstore?Action=DisplayHomePage&SiteID=findmyor&Locale=en_US

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Chaps8
New Community Member

nadinerater

Ive had a similar issue, I only use my paypal on one website, a company with no relation to Digital River Ireland yet yesterday after I finished work I noticed an email notifiying me of a preapproved payment for £39.99 on Avast software. Software I've never bought and don't plan you, yes I have the free version but they do not have my payment details. 

I challenged the payment on Paypal yet the responce i recieved was

"We've investigated your unauthorised payment claim. The payment in question was sent as part of a billing agreement previously set up. For this reason, we're unable to consider this to be an unauthorised payment.

As a courtesy, we've cancelled this billing agreement for you. In the future, however, please be aware that you can manage and cancel your billing agreements directly from your PayPal account."

The thing is I can't have had a billing agreement with a company I've never heard of and when I've only used my paypal account five times two of which were with a tshirt company and the other three were receiving money from my friend. £40 isn't a small amount of money for me, I live on a very tight budget so people who keep saying maybe you don't remember buying something. I would. This is very stressful it means I've been comprimised somehow and I don't know what to do!

Login to Me Too

starbaker
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing has happened to me but in the sum of £79.90 for an alleged pre approved payment from 2013.  I initially received the same response from Paypal as you.  I had never heard of Digital River Ireland Ltd before and I absolutely never signed up for any deferred payment using Paypal or anything else.  I checked with my bank and the money left my bank account immediately.    

I changed my password and security questions as recommended but I don't see how that would make any difference because they have my email address.  Although in 2013/14 I had a completely different email address.  

Login to Me Too

dynastyden
New Community Member

Hey everyone who has been scammed don't bother asking for help from paypal you'll just get 'contact digital river'. With so many queries one would think they would investigate this company as it seems that anyone who wants to rob someone uses them.

Login to Me Too

gbrinkle
Contributor
Contributor

I was just notified by this Digital River that they could not process my credit card for a specified amount because it was expired.  I have never done any business with that company and the credit card they attempted to charge was reported stolen and replaced some time ago.  Make sure you log out of paypal everytime you use it, because most sites I deal with does not close paypal after a trans action, you have to do thahat or it stays open.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.