Need advice, Digital river unauthorized pay, how to tighten security?

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too
227 REPLIES 227

Ruffino2005
New Community Member

I don't know if my scenario is worse. I have serious malware in three of my computers, using Avast as antivirus. I tried to get help from Avast tech support and it popped an offer for "cleaner" which I purchased with paypal. I guess impersonating Avast support they open a chat window to tell me that the cleaner was not enough cure and they offered a 200 dollars solution for all my devices during a year. I said no and they lowered to 130 for one time. I said no again but some days later I noticed they, digitalriver US Inc.had charged me 130 through Paypal and of course I have not heard of them any more.

Login to Me Too

Capt_Greg

Got me too - opened a ticket 

Login to Me Too

flwoodsman
New Community Member

I also just found Digital River charged me 34.99 for a service I do not use and do not have on my computer.On my old computer I had free avast and got sucked into buying their enhanced version for 9.95.

PayPal has taken their side and says I agreed to allow them to charge my account.If so it must have been some very small print that I never saw.It was not even worth the 9.95 and they say I agreed to allow them to charge me 34.99 without so much as a download of their program on my computer witha big increase.Hogwash.

PayPal seems to have become another corrupt greedy company allowing companies like DigitalRiver to rip us off so they can get their percentage.

I am extremely angry with PayPal over this and find it difficult to believe they would allow such a corrupt and deceptive and outright theft of their members just for their percentage.DigitalRiver is Avast.Their 9.95 service was no better than their free service and I would never have signed up for their 34.99 service and I do not have it.I purchased Norton many months ago for my new computers and never had Avast on them

@asukatenjou wrote:

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too

Usiris

Hey guys.

I used to work for Digital River...(not a rep or anyhting like that)

Basiclly how things work is that Digital River is the record of merchant for a lot of companies. What that means is, they are the ones who show up on bank statments. For example, if you bought something from Avast, on the bill it would be from Digital River, not Avast.

While its a good idea to change passwords consitentlly, take a look at their clients before assuming that its fraud, its more than likly you bought something from a client or are subscribing to a client.

@flwoodsman

What proboly happened is that you had a free trial and there was an opt out clause somewhere. So, when you're X days are up,  unless you said "nope dont want this" ahead of time, you get charged. Its kinda standard for subscription things like antivirus.

Login to Me Too

mel_kay

Just read your reply to a message about digital river. First let me tell you that I have not bought anything through a company using Digital River in years - 2013 was the last time to be exact. Trend Micro just charged me for a renewal of my internet security - which I didn't need and didn't authorise - on the 12 Jan and I'm not due to renew until July. So someone IS using Digital River to defraud people. I know you used to work for them but that doesn't mean that all their staff is above reproach. This seems to be happening a lot so I told the woman on the line that they really need to look at their staff and re-evaulate their security measures because someone is using their company name to rip people off. 

Login to Me Too

Dell2
New Community Member

This exact same scenario has just happened to me. Is there anything that can be done? i've filed a dispute theough paypal and cancelled the payments ... but im still out 34.99 for a product that i didn't purchace!! Help i don't even have that amount in my account right now..

Login to Me Too

mel_kay

I know, right? And Digital River swore to me that they had no record of the transaction at their end so in other words, they're not willing to reimburse me. And I"m out the fifty bucks they took, plus a fifteen dollar late fee for the direct debit that was supposed to happen THE DAY AFTER they took the money out! I'm fuming and will never use Paypal again, just in case they got hold of my details through them. 

Login to Me Too

jeanpool
New Community Member

I too have jsut noticed a payment for 34.99 from Digital River, on my credit card. have just googled them and am none the wiser.

changing credit card will do the trick but annoyed that someone has helped themselves to my money for well.. nothing at all. Great. 

Login to Me Too

Smiffy-95
New Community Member

I've had this for £9.95 on my account. I do not use PayPal for anything other than Ebay so was very concerned when I saw this. 

I rang Lloyds bank and they we're really helpful, they refunded me the money straight away and said they would contact the payment originators and reclaim the money back themselves. They promised to let me know if there weer any problems and would keep an eye on any transactions similar to this in the future. Had no problems since, if your bank isn't very helpful then I'd ring back and ask to speak to the fraud department. 

Login to Me Too

smokin
Contributor
Contributor

have just received an e-mail showing that I have been charged through paypal 29.99 by digital river.

I have never heard of them and have certainly not paid this sum to anyone recently.

I thought paypal was safe

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.