My email address being used by someone else.

Stephen1964
Contributor
Contributor
Anyway I can stop my email address being used by someone else ?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_paula

Hi Stephen1964, 

I am sorry to hear that this is happening. Have you tried contacting us directly so we can have this reported for you? If not please do so. You can report it by calling or emailing us via the "Help & Contact" link at the bottom of any PayPal page. 

Thanks for your post, 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

bb888s
Contributor
Contributor

Did you have any luck?

I've had this same problem since 2013. Somebody used a variation of my gmail address (it's still my same gmail account, but with (a)gmail.com instead of the (a)googlemail.com address, so paypal sees them as different addresses). I have my paypal account with  (a)googlemail.com and they have managed to use the (a)gmail.com variant on their account. It was never verified, but I still get their emails, and I cannot what is my own email address with my account! It's crazy, and really annoying that paypal does nothing to protect the legitimate owners of email addresses and provide a means to get them back if this happens. I guess I could actually write a snail mail to D****** C***** (I know her actual name and postal address because it was on one of the emails... although I guess she may have moved) but why should I have to!

Back in 2013 when I contacted Paypal, they were quite unhelpful in removing the address from the other person's account.  I think they may have locked the account (I of course received the emails to say it was going to be "restricted"!! but still they never released the email address to me. At least for a while I didn't receive further emails, which was something, but then in 2018-19 I started getting them again.

I've got time to spend on it again now, so I'm looking at how to get it sorted as I still occassionally receive emails re that person's account from paypal.com.au  (I use paypal.com in the UK). All I want is to have the right to use my own email address. Not really a big ask!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.