My dispute was declined for 'taking too long to open dispute'- even though it was in allowed period.

WellingtonFish
New Community Member

In January I spent £244 on an a pair of headphones which were faulty on arrival. I contacted the seller twice within the 30 day period, and waited for a response, giving extra time than I normally would due to the pressure Covid is placing on businesses. After receiving no response, I opened a dispute with PayPal in March, supplying proof that I had previously contacted the seller. PayPal ruled in favour of the seller based on the fact that I 'took too long to open a dispute', even though I opened a dispute within the period that PayPal themselves allow. PayPal told me to contact my bank. I have now finally heard back from my bank, who say they will not intervene in this issue as PayPal has their own disputes service.

I did everything right- contacted the seller within the initial 30 day period, and contacted PayPal within the dispute period, despite being unwell with Covid and losing my job, so obviously having my mind on more important things. I am being punished for not following unwritten rules which I had no idea existed. This is a lot of money for me, and this is an incredibly stressful situation. I feel like I cannot trust PayPal at all, as I have no idea whether their rules, guidelines and terms and conditions are actually truthful. I feel as if PayPal can make any arbitrary decision, without reasonable justification. This makes me feel anxious and unsafe as a consumer.

Has anyone been in a similar position with PayPal, or can offer any advice?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

WellingtonFish
New Community Member

The reason for declining my dispute was 'The case was closed in the seller's favour as the item wasn’t damaged, different or missing any parts as described by you.'

This is factually untrue. It is only by contacting PayPal that I found out the REAL reason was that I left it too long, and that they had 'no idea what may have happened to the headphones in that timeframe'(?!). The implication being that I bought the headphones and damaged them over the intervening two months, despite the fact I have proof that I contacted the seller immediately to report them broken.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.