My account was hacked!

StuUK
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to make an eBay purchase earlier today and couldn't login to paypal.

I couldn't login to the paypal website either so went through the change password process.

After changing password and logging into my account I found 2x transactions made yesterday that were not mine.

I raised an immediate case and called the support desk who transferred me to the limitations centre.

The guy in the limitations centre said that my account password was changed yesterday and those purchases made and that I was notified by email.

I double checked my email but I did not receive any notice of the password change or the purchases. 

The issue is still being investigated

I'm wondering if the fraudster also hacked my email and deleted these emails as soon as they were sent.

I have now changed my security details and setup 2 step authorisation.

Will Paypal refund me?

Stuart UK

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @StuUK,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum!

I am sorry to hear that this happened. In case of an unauthorised payment, PayPal offers protection and you will receive a refund once the relevant team reviews your case and detects the unauthorised activity. To increase the security of your account I would recommend updating the password of your email address as well and running an antivirus scan. 

I hope this helps.

Martina 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.