My account was hacked and the person deposited money into a green dot Visa card.

cx61bc00
When I tried to log back into PayPal to print out my shipping labels, it said the password had been changed and I had to go through many lengths to change my password and get into my account
when I got in, the language was changed, and my address, phone number, were all changed. Also, there was new random card added. 
I did not think much of it because I still had all the money I originally had, and deleted the card, changed the phone number, address, and changed the language back.
However, I did not realise that on February 14th I had "received" payment from some random person in Japan. I had "received" a payment, from a random person in Japan for two payments (around $250),  but I had not been logged into PayPal for a while because I had not sold anything for quite some time. The money was immediately put into another card (card ending in <Removed>). However, I do not own a card ending in <Removed> nor do I use Green Dot Visa. This was the hacker's card.
Then, I get a notification after not realizing that this would end up happening, that I was being disputed for the random payment I "received" (I didn't receive it, the money went into a green dot Visa card that doesn't belong to me). As a result, it is clear the hacker is trying to dispute this transaction after "sending" me money, and putting it back into his card. I have screenshots showing the changed information on my PayPal account, and I do not believe I have to go through lengths to talk to the card issuer (green dot visa), because I have no information on this transaction or the card number to be able to talk to a representative. I do not know why I was sent that money, and the hacker got the money right back. I do not believe I should have to pay $180, when I never received the money to begin with. 

I talked to customer service online for hours and it's like they're all robots or something. I even looked up similar issues and many people have gone through the same thing. They would reply to my long messages with "Report and dispute this transaction with the steps below", or "here's how to change the language back". I can't dispute the deposits into the green dot card. 

Can someone PLEASE help me? the case will end in 3 days and I can't seem to get an answer out of these robots anymore.. 
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cx61bc00 

Hmmmm, money was taken/sent from a probably another hacked PayPal account, then accepted in to your account and withdrawn to an unknown linked Visa debit card. Now, the hacked PayPal account that sent the money is disputing transactions. It has to be from an account of another victim because there is no point of fraudster doing this from their own account. Funds have to come out of somewhere else.

Hopefully a mod will see this and reach out to help. Due to this Covid-19 situation and reduced staff, human response will take longer. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.