My account was hacked and paypal wont do anything about it.

danielporsh
Contributor
Contributor

So my account was hacked and I had 2 payments done off my account one was to some hotel in Russia which PayPal ended up blocking so it didn't go through and the other one was a random site online which they "donated" money to which was a nice lump sum of 200 dollars. I am not the charitable type and never was. So I ended up opening up a case and they deny my case with some **bleep** reply as if it was not covered. WHAT THE **bleep** DO YOU MEAN IT WAS NOT COVERED. How about the fact that I didn't authorize this payment that happened through your site..... was that covered.

The Hotel

http://www.hostelmoscow.club/

The Site

https://www.fundacjakompendium.com/

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
I can understand your frustration, but you need to calm down and make sure you learn from this so you can avoid similar problems in the future with PayPal or any other online service you might be using.

For your account to get "hacked", you undoubtedly got "phished". This means somebody sent you an email or some sort of a message that looked like it came from PayPal with login links, and when you logged in through this link, you actually sent your account credentials to some fraudster. Here is some information about that I would highly recommend you read through: https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/what-is-phishing-or-spoofing

So the first thing to do at this point is make sure you've changed your password to something new, unique, and strong. Then double check your account profile to make sure nothing there was messed with.

For the transactions, it's good that PayPal caught one of them. Maybe give them a little bit of credit for that one..?? For the donation, can you see how it was paid? Was it sent with "friends and family" payment? If so, that would be the reason it's not "covered". Check whether or not that's the case and then maybe I can help you figure something out.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
I can understand your frustration, but you need to calm down and make sure you learn from this so you can avoid similar problems in the future with PayPal or any other online service you might be using.

For your account to get "hacked", you undoubtedly got "phished". This means somebody sent you an email or some sort of a message that looked like it came from PayPal with login links, and when you logged in through this link, you actually sent your account credentials to some fraudster. Here is some information about that I would highly recommend you read through: https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/what-is-phishing-or-spoofing

So the first thing to do at this point is make sure you've changed your password to something new, unique, and strong. Then double check your account profile to make sure nothing there was messed with.

For the transactions, it's good that PayPal caught one of them. Maybe give them a little bit of credit for that one..?? For the donation, can you see how it was paid? Was it sent with "friends and family" payment? If so, that would be the reason it's not "covered". Check whether or not that's the case and then maybe I can help you figure something out.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

danielporsh
Contributor
Contributor

Cant be. I don't use PayPal unless its buy something off some certain sites where my PayPal is already linked to them. It was a donation so I don't know if it was covered or not but I want this **bleep** fixed or else I'm closing my PayPal account. I am also contacting my bank and if they do not handle this either I am also closing my bank account and switching banks. I am in a massive overdraft because of some scammers/ hackers and I don't have the nerves to deal with this currently there is too much going on in my life currently so I don't exactly have the patience to deal with this **bleep** currently. As of now, I am waiting until my bank resolves this. As soon as they do I am closing my PayPal. If they don't I'm closing both my accounts with that bank and PayPal. Also if PayPal caught one fraudulent payment why don't they freeze the account instead of allowing the scammer/hacker make another payment and that's what I call a security flaw. 

Login to Me Too

Adeutschlaender
New Community Member
no I was not phished. I was hacked by a hacker
Login to Me Too

morty11
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, phishing is how a hacker hacks!

Login to Me Too

ataylor84
Contributor
Contributor
I as well have the same problem! Mine was that someone got into my account linked it to business account and then purchased a spell!! Yes a spell! Worth over $300! Seriously! The woman who is the seller claimed to be real not only has hella complaints on her bit is also in trouble for Fraud! And guess what? PayPal said that she was a right because she shipped the spell to my address! But what tops it off, is that she sent he so called spell to the business name not my name! PayPal never took my proof even though I have the proof that UPS never delivered it due to the name didn’t belong to that address! I even went and got proof in the 15 different cases opened against her! Still PayPal says she is right!! Crazy!! And ridiculous!! Even though PayPal’s own guidelines clearly state that those kind of transactions are not prohibited and seller accounts will be closed! Yet hers stays opened and I’m out of over $300!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.