My Paypal account has been permanently banned and I have no idea why and what to do

yura_kin
Contributor
Contributor

Pretty much the title.

Today I received an email from paypal saying that my paypal account was banned because " we detected that this account that this account was engaged in activity to deceive PayPal and its customers. "

It says

"You'll not be able to conduct any further business using PayPal.

Based on this decision, if applicable, you are no longer eligible for PayPal Seller Protection as per our User Agreement.

This will apply to all existing and future cases you receive."

I thought it was a phishing attempt at first but still decided to log in to my account separately and it was true.

I am at loss. I have no idea why it happened. There is no reason provided and no steps listed that I might take to find out what's going on. It's just basically "you're permanently banned, sorry for the inconvenience it might have caused".

The only activity I had on this account within the last year or so was me receiving money from my friend back home for the purchase of something that isn't being sold in that country. I live in Canada, friend lives in Europe. He asked me to buy an item that is not being sold there as its American made. I bought it, shipped it to a friend, he paid for the item. All went well. A month after this my account is banned, but I don't know if that was the cause or how can it be the cause, or what else is the cause.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yura_kin 

PayPal does review accounts regularly, and any concerns with security, violations of the User Agreement or Acceptable Use Agreement, compliance obligations, etc., could lead to a permanent restriction. Additional information beyond what would have been provided to you in a notification and/or email would not be available due also to security concerns and due to such information being proprietary......in other words they do not give you an exact reason, I guess because it would not change the decision already made anyway.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

yura_kin
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I understand that decision is non-reversible and quite honestly I don't care about using paypal  as there are other alternatives. I am just puzzled as to why such a big payment processor bans their clients without a reason. I would be first to admit if any reason, even a smallest one, existed to ban my account and wouldn't even bring this question up, but none exist. I never breached a single paypal policy and never had a tiniest issue with paypal in about 15 years I used the account. I truly believe that my account ban was due to an error by PayPal's automated security system and the fact that a user cannot do anything about it is, for the lack of better word, crazy. I wonder how PayPal is still in business getting away with mistakes like that. I was a small customer who rarely used their service, but what if it happened to people who depended on PayPal for income and such.

Login to Me Too

aimak
New Community Member

Me too, I have no complaint about banning account and too busy from COVID-19 situation so leave Paypal quietly. But it's so annoying which they still sending any changes of their services even though they didn't allow to use. And nothing to do with close account with always errors. At least remove my personal information or email and let me go

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.