My PayPal account is hijacked

tammycha
Contributor
Contributor

On 1 July 2021, I received two emails from that I setup 2-step verification and added a new email address to my account. But I never do so. Then I'm trying to report the case by clicking the link inside the mail. I found that I'm not able to log in my account anymore. And I tried forgotten password but it doesn't work. It seems my account has been taken over by another email address.

After clicking the link inside the mail (The mail doesn't look at Spam/Fake at all, that's why I clicked) it directs me to the Help Center. I'm not sure how I found a Live Chat button in the page and I talked the Customer Service person who named Judy. She told me that she helped me to file the case and I will receive an email regarding my account within 24 hours.

After 24 hours, it was very weird I didn't receive any email at all. I started suspect the email is FAKE. I tried search any helpful posts on Community Forum and someone said PayPal has no Live Chat!!!!! 

Trying to contact PayPal but all the Help instructions requested me to log in my account but I'm not able to access at all. I feel really upset and frustrated to PayPal that this is not a friendly Help at all.

I had a recent transaction using PayPal on 29 April 2021 which I still kept the receipt to prove I'm the owner the account. I might also linked my credit card and bank account to my PayPal account.

Couldn't even find a contact number to on PayPal site.

Now I have to post this using my second account. I hope anyone can give me some practical advice or PayPal can contact me to solve the problem asap.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Martin

Hi @tammycha,

Welcome to our Community!

I am sorry to see this has happened. You will need to report this correctly so the access is restored.  If an issue with accessing your account persists, please try reaching out to us via the "Help" or "Contact" link page at the bottom of the PayPal website. If you are seeing limited options at this time, try selecting the “Password and account access” option under the "Common Issues" menu and then the "Login Issues" link on the "Contact Us" Page. Available options to contact us while logged out should appear during hours of operation. You will have either an option to call us or message us or both, without logging into the account. 

Thanks

Martin

Login to Me Too

tammycha
Contributor
Contributor

"Available options to contact us while logged out should appear during hours of operation. You will have either an option to call us or message us or both, without logging into the account."

Alright Martin, thank you for your reply. 

I will try again on Monday but what if the person using my account to transfer money from my linked bank account?

( Although I couldn't remember did I link any bank account before but I supposed I linked)

Does any authentication needed from bank to transfer money to PayPal account or make any transaction using credit card?

Login to Me Too

tammycha1
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Martin 

Hello I just wanted to let you know I helped myself to get my account back.

I'm now using my first account to reply on this forum. 

I tried logging in using the new email address that hackers add. Then I click forgotten password.

There're 3 verification ways: 

1. Security Questions

2. Type the linked credit card full number ( The hacker doesn't remove my credit card but I never try this as I feel it's a bit risky to do so)

3. Verification via Mobile (I'm very lucky as my mobile still be the primary mobile number)

So I used the 3rd way to verify and able to change the password.

After that, I tried logging in using the new password. But they had setup the 2-step verification, so I just click troubling log in and using the verification code sent to my mobile to log in.

Finally, I successfully log in to my account. Then I quickly unlink the bank account and credit card

I could see my email address was removed.

This is not an usual step to solve the problem.

I could get my account back because I'm lucky enough my mobile number still there (The hacker didn't remove it) and it's still the primary number to get verification code.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.