My PayPal Account was Hacked, PayPal Refusing to Honor their Policy

SS1850
New Community Member

Their policy:

PayPal offers “security” for buyers like you. Specifically, it guarantees that it will protect your account. “If you report an unauthorized transaction problem within 60 days from the transaction date, we'll investigate right away,” PayPal promises. “You aren't liable for unauthorized purchases made from your account.”

Someone hacked my account - ordered electronics to the tune of $1954.27 and were having them shipped to a different address than mine - I notified PayPal - IMMEDIATELY - for this unauthorized purchase. I had to close my checking account after 32 years of the same account - (if anyone knows how frustrating that is!) - but the bank was very accommodating. The hackers had access to my routing numbers and checking acct.

When I called PayPal - they ASSURED me I wasn't responsible. Let me repeat, they ASSURED me I wasn't responsible for this unauthorized charge. 

Within 24 hours I get a text from FedX - saying they are going to deliver these electronics to an address in a city I don't live in, but required my signature. I called FedX immediately! I attempted to STOP this delivery. FedX told me I would have to have the Shipper or PayPal do this, it couldn't come from me, and even though it was "supposedly" being delivered to me, I couldn't know the address. 

I instantly got on the phone with PayPal (again) - gave them the routing number for FedX - and all the information - they told me - "no worries, you're covered."

Now, you would think, I should have no worries - I'm covered. But I kept checking my PayPal account to see this negative balance of $1954.27 - stating action required. 

I called - only to find out, they have decided I am responsible for this transaction?! Seriously?! After I closed a checking account, tried to stop a delivery, and there is no way they have my signature on this delivery.

I filed an Internet Crimes Center report - as most of us know, the Sheriff's dept really has no time for cyber-crime like this.

As I read another community thread in 2019 - PayPal has a history of not standing by hacked accounts - which is very concerning since cyber-crime is on the rise.

I will fight this until the end, since I know this is criminal what they are doing to people that have a good standing. I've been with PayPal since 2008 - and this is how they treat us when bad things happen to good people.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi SS1850, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community forum, and welcome as a new member! 

PayPal will thoroughly review the account when a report of unauthorized activity is received. Once there is evidence that a third party has accessed you account, you are covered for any transactions made without your authorization. If there was no evidence of unauthorized activity on your PayPal account, your claim will be denied, and we will be unable to refund you for any purchases. 

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.