My Account Was Hacked

victim2fraud
Contributor
Contributor

Any guidance would be a help. $6880 was stolen from my Chase savings account. Both Chase and PayPal agree this was an unauthorized charge. Due to Federal Law, they don't have to reimburse the amount because there was 60 days between the original hacking of my account ($1000 in February) and multiple deductions that occurred in May of $6880 (totaling $7880). The law says I can get the original amount that was hacked ($1000) but not the remaining $6880 because it wasn't reported within 60 days of the original hack in February. 

When I asked where the money is, PayPal rep said that the account that stole it has been frozen and funds are still in the account. Therefore, $6880 is sitting in a frozen account and nobody know what's going to happen with it. PayPal knows it's mine but they aren't legally required to release it to me. They say "Chase needs to file an ACH pull back" but Chase won't do this due to the same federal law (60 day window). 

I've spoken with an attorney and he says I need to file a lawsuit to subpoena PayPal to share the info regarding where the funds are and who is entitled to them. This is a nightmare. What would you do if $6880 was stolen from you? 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@victim2fraud 

Take it to court as advised. It's large enough amount.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.