Moorcroft Debt Recovery letter - fraudulent account

Rich_M
Contributor
Contributor

I have received an unexpected letter from Moorcroft Debt Recovery Ltd, who have been instructed by PayPal to collect an overdue amount of c.£5,000.  However, I know nothing of the debt, and I have received no prior communication about it.  The PayPal account is not mine - it bears my real name and geographical address, but is linked to an unknown email address.  I need PayPal to treat this as a fraud case and instruct Moorcroft to discontinue their recovery efforts against me, but I cannot see an appropriate issue listed in the PayPal customer service section.  It doesn't seem to fit under their definitions of fraudulent activity.  I would be very grateful for advice.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

lillie6
Contributor
Contributor
What did you do in the same situation
Login to Me Too

volvox167
Contributor
Contributor

Hi my husband has just got a letter from moorcroft he doesn't have an account with PayPal. This is the second letter can you tell me what you have done to resolve the situation.

Login to Me Too

gerlarry
Hi Just received the same. How did you handle it Thx
Login to Me Too

Kikachee
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I got a letter today from Moorcroft. I have checked with PayPal that I don’t owe anything to them. I found a letter template on the internet (Link below) which basically tells Moorcroft that they have to prove the so called debt or close the case. Just send them this letter and forget about it. https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Complaining-to-debt-collection-agencies-that...
Login to Me Too

Rotory

Yep, received a letter from Moorcroft today asking for £3600 allegedly owed to PayPal. Never ever used PayPal, but I do have an empty account.

Why are the Moorcroft family allowed to carry out this scam without PayPal reacting .

M

Login to Me Too

woodie21
New Community Member

Your right, it is a scam. I have received two letters from Moorcroft. I have contacted PayPal who have confirmed that I do not owe them any money, nor did they instruct Moorcroft.

Moorcroft know that for every ten or twenty people that will tell them to get stuffed there is one person that will be panicked and pay. 

I have raised a query via the form on Moorcroft's web site but they have not replied. I think they want people to ring them so you can be messed about and/or placed on hold, all the while Moorcroft are earning from the inflated call charge and call set up fee.

I think the best thing to do is, write using one of the letter template's on the internet and then report Moorcroft to the Financial Conduct Authority. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.