Money sent to wrong person

lizette12764
Contributor
Contributor

I just sent money to my daughter, searched her by name. Got a confirmation the money was sent to someone with the same phone number and PayPal email!!! PayPal denied my request to refund because this was not an “unauthorized “ transaction

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lizette12764 

That is not a sure fire way to get recipient's PayPal account, sorry. I'd rather ask recipient for their a PayPal email address. You'll need to email the actual recipient (email address found in the transaction details) to ask for a refund. Since you sent a personal payment, there is no refund/purchase protection as you essentially sent a "gift" payment and you're at the mercy of the recipient's better nature to issue a refund to you.

You may try to dispute it with your card or bank, depending on how you funded the transaction, otherwise, you're out of gas. Money gone.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

lizette12764
Contributor
Contributor
The email address for the person I sent the money to is the same as for the person who received it. Even the phone numbers are the same. So if when I sent the money to my daughter, her name came up, but when I received the confirmation, it has someone else’s name, but exact same PayPal emails. I made a screenshot of their profiles and printed them out. All I can do is email them the info and keep disputing the transaction
Login to Me Too

lizette12764
Contributor
Contributor
I immediately called PayPal, who took the info and told me to call my credit card company. They told me the money has to post to my credit card acct and then I need to contact them again. I emailed the recipient also.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.