Money sent to personal, can't get it back

richeytd
Contributor
Contributor

I sent money to my granddaugher's account for school clothes. Her account is in limited status because she can't prove her address or identity, and she is too young to have a bank account. I need to get the money back so I can send it to her by some other means. We've tried contacting Paypal support, but they quit responding to messages. How do I get my money back?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@richeytd

If she opened a Paypal account underage then she would never be able to verify it to accept any funds.

If you mean you sent it using the 'friends / family' option ??? then unless you funded that payment via a credit card then there is nothing you can do.

If you did fund it via a c.c. then contact your card issuer BUT they may not help either as it was a 'gift' payment.

If you sent it another way and I misunderstood your post then post back.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

@kernowlass wrote:

@richeytd

If she opened a Paypal account underage then she would never be able to verify it to accept any funds.

If you mean you sent it using the 'friends / family' option ??? then unless you funded that payment via a credit card then there is nothing you can do.

If you did fund it via a c.c. then contact your card issuer BUT they may not help either as it was a 'gift' payment.

cc issuer handles all chargebacks,gift or no gift.it cant tell if it is a gift or purchase nor does it matter

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nevadasmith

@nevadasmith wrote:

@kernowlass wrote:

@richeytd

cc issuer handles all chargebacks,gift or no gift.it cant tell if it is a gift or purchase nor does it matter

NOT TRUE. I have seen many posts on here over the years when a c.c. company have 'refused' a chargeback as the payment was NOT a payment for goods but a 'friends' payment.

This is what is said for chargebacks......note the word GOODS !!!!!

Chargeback can be used in cases of goods not arriving at all, goods that are damaged, goods that are different from the description, or where the merchant has ceased trading.

Which is why i said the card company 'may' not find in their favour rather than your assertion that the c.c. won't which you cannot possibly 100% know for sure.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

@kernowlass wrote:

@nevadasmith

@nevadasmith wrote:

@kernowlass wrote:

@richeytd

NOT TRUE. I have seen many posts on here over the years when a c.c. company have 'refused' a chargeback as the payment was NOT a payment for goods but a 'friends' payment.

This is what is said for chargebacks......note the word GOODS !!!!!

Chargeback can be used in cases of goods not arriving at all, goods that are damaged, goods that are different from the description, or where the merchant has ceased trading.

Which is why i said the card company 'may' not find in their favour rather than your assertion that the c.c. won't which you cannot possibly 100% know for sure.

I questioned that,goods and services -if I get a haircut or hire a plumber,thats service or see a doctor/

if I hire a caterer and put down a deposit,and he is no show,I should get the money back via chargeback.

as for giving money to a friend,how is the cc issuer know if he is a friend or service provider or a seller selling goods.

is my hairdresser ,bug man,dentist ,fortune teller a friend or a service provider,no way to prove either.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nevadasmith

You really think a card issuer does not know what type of transaction it is when they have processed the payment for you.

The recipient nearly always tends to be a merchant UNLESS its a paypal transaction and then they know if its a gift payment as paypal would inform them as part of the chargeback information.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @richeytd,

I'm sorry to hear about the dilemma with a payment sent to an underage account-holder's account. If your granddaughter sends a request in writing to refund the payment via the Help Center while logged in to her account, a representative can evaluate the request and may be able to reverse the payment back to you. 

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.