Money paid to wrong email account

bh3471
Contributor
Contributor

I paid for services ($700) to a vendor and the email address was incorrect by 1 letter.  I did not realize this until 3 days later when the vendor contacted me about payment.  I immediately notified Paypal and since the transaction was completed, I was told to contact the account holder.  After several emails requesting a refund, and several emails with the account holder, I still have received no refund.  I filed a dispute with Paypal and can prove this person kept the money illegally, they deny my dispute.  I finally disputed with my credit card company (which is why I don't let Paypal access my bank account) however this person still has $700 that should go back into my account and back to my credit card company.  All Paypal had to do was remove the money from that account holder but that has not happened.  I have invoice proofing this money does not belong to that person.  Why does Paypal not require them to prove it does?  Anyone had similar problem? Is legal action my only recourse?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

actionsimon
New Community Member

did you ever get your money back?

@bh3471 wrote:

I paid for services ($700) to a vendor and the email address was incorrect by 1 letter.  I did not realize this until 3 days later when the vendor contacted me about payment.  I immediately notified Paypal and since the transaction was completed, I was told to contact the account holder.  After several emails requesting a refund, and several emails with the account holder, I still have received no refund.  I filed a dispute with Paypal and can prove this person kept the money illegally, they deny my dispute.  I finally disputed with my credit card company (which is why I don't let Paypal access my bank account) however this person still has $700 that should go back into my account and back to my credit card company.  All Paypal had to do was remove the money from that account holder but that has not happened.  I have invoice proofing this money does not belong to that person.  Why does Paypal not require them to prove it does?  Anyone had similar problem? Is legal action my only recourse?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bh3471

Just as your bank can't dip into another persons account and help themselves to funds another person has paid into that bank account, Paypal can't 'help themselves' to a payment you willingly sent to another person.

If you had opened a dispute for 'non receipt of item' then you may have got a refund as that person would have had nothing to send you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.