Money Scam

dazerack
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I don't want to get into the nitty gritty details of this.  I was recently the victim of a money scam, for which I filed a local police report on and disputed the sending of the money within hours of the cancelation.  However, upon review Paypal decided this wasn't outside of the normal activity on my account.  

1) I made the dispute within hours

2) I haven't used Paypal in almost 5 years (so what activity exactly?)

So, can anyone help me?  How to I get more information about this denial?  How can I move a closed case 'UP' the chain and get someone to listen?  Who should I email?

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dazerack 

Because there was no outside breach of your PayPal account. That is what an 'unauthorized' transaction dispute is for. You, yourself sent the money albeit because of a scam. You can message Paypal customer service to have them change the reason for dispute. Let them choose the reason because there is no specific option other than Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described.

Click Help at the top menu and click "Message Center" to contact customer service.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

dazerack
Contributor
Contributor

Even though they have already closed the dispute?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dazerack 

Yes, even though they already closed the dispute. Tell them what happened. You filed the wrong case. Seen people get caught in this situation before and you have to explain to customer service what happened. Nothing to more to lose by clarifying what happened.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.