Misleading buyer

Mark-M3
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a couple of classic car parts to a chap in the USA and he messaged saying he had expected completely different parts to those sold. I pointed out that I had shown him and exploded parts diagram and specific part numbers, so any mistakes were his and there was nothing I could realistically do. I had already paid a £170 shipping surcharge so was out of pocket anyway. At this point, the buyer changes tack and says the parts are in poor condition and not as described. Clearly with a view to obtaining a refund.

These are parts of a vehicle under tray and as such, they live beneath the car and protect it from road dirt, gravel etc.  They lead a pretty hard life so were never going to be like new. That said, they are still very much fit for purpose and do the job they were designed to do. There were 2 parts supplied and one is actually new/unused so that is clearly not unfit for use.

Buyer is now claiming a full refund and also expects me to pay him the cost of shipping the parts back to the UK!  

I am just a private individual selling a couple of parts I no longer needed.  These parts are absolutely in good condition (which is how I described them) and had the buyer waited a day longer, I would have given him actual photos. Instead, he just messaged saying ''I'll take a chance on the parts''. I think he acted on impulse and obviously didn't check the part numbers or diagram supplied. Now he expects me to pay for his mistake. What should I do?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Mark-M3
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry - I meant to add that I have worked around cars for most of my life and currently write for automotive magazines here in the UK, so I know what constitutes a part that's in good condition.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mark-M3

If he opens a Paypal dispute and 'if' Paypal finds in his favour then they will tell him to return the item 'trackable' (to prove delivery back to you), at his own expense before you have to refund 'original payment' that he paid you only.

If he finds it too expensive to send it back to you 'trackable' then he may decide not to bother OR Paypal may not find in his favour.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mark-M3
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal gave him till the 30th April to supply tracking details to return the part.  They obviously just ignored by comments.  Well it's the 30th and now PP are saying he has till midnight tonight, so effectively till May 1st.  I think this is misleading and another example of just how biased PP are against sellers.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mark-M3

Well to be fair its still the 30th until midnight.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.