May have been scammed

chloeoh98
Contributor
Contributor

I just ordered a PS4 game from a website called dvd-exprez.com 

I paid it through PayPal and got the confirmation of payment through facebook messenger. But after I ordered I took a closer look at the site and I'm now starting to think it could be fraudulent. The contact us email address that is on the site doesn't allow messages to reach me. The address they listed is actually an office address that allows people to use their address (supposedly to avoid junk mail and to avoid a residential address being seen). 

I've contacted the email address that the payment on PayPal was sent to about 10 minutes ago and haven't received a response as of yet. I've contacted Paypal by email too.

The thing is the game doesn't actually come out until the end of the month meaning I won't actually know until around then if it's genuine or not. Can I file a dispute yet or should I wait and see? Am I protected by Paypal's buyer protection?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@L80

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Near the bottom of the page, under 'More about your account', click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Centre.
3.Click Dispute a Transaction.
4.Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
5.Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
25 REPLIES 25

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@chloeoh98

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Near the bottom of the page, under 'More about your account', click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Centre.
3.Click Dispute a Transaction.
4.Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
5.Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

matt2694
Contributor
Contributor

im in the same boat, bought god of war 2 days ago... ill let you know if it comes or not

Login to Me Too

christMM
New Community Member

Hello, please do let us know if you receive your product. I haven't ordered yet but the website looked suspicious to me and will like to get confirmation from someone who successfully received their item before proceeding

Login to Me Too

Joeseppi
Contributor
Contributor

I bought God of War on PS4 just a few hours ago and now i feel like it may have been a mistake, guess we'll see if the products arrive. They seem to sell Black Panther on Blu-Ray and that hasn't been officially been released yet so it doesn't look too good.

Login to Me Too

chloeoh98
Contributor
Contributor

The game I got also isn't out yet but was thinking it might have been listed as a pre-order. I'm going to see if anyone on here has got their order and if not I'll open a dispute because I've spoken to PayPal and you can open one up 120 days after the purchase date, so fingers crossed. 

Login to Me Too

chloeoh98
Contributor
Contributor

Please do! Will probably be the only way I'll know if it's legit or not.

Login to Me Too

Wilkybob69
Any luck with a delivery yet I ordered last Thursday and then put a claim in
Login to Me Too

Jasonnutt
Contributor
Contributor

Same as, put in two orders then noticed that payment was sent to two different Gmail accounts looks like we have been scamed

Login to Me Too

NintendoGBR
New Community Member

I was actually concerned upon coming across the site via a google search, but I thought I would have a go.

I have also emailed them today and got the mail pinged back.

I contacted PayPal who have informed me that if I have not had the item delivered within 7 days or receive an update, I should contact them so that they can open an investigation.

I will update with more info in time. 

Cheers

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.