Mask Scam

bvcjay
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, sharing my experience as I believe there may be several if not hundreds of others who are victims of a mask scam.

I purchased masks from mygoodmask in early March to prepare for the COVID-19 pandemic we are facing now. The URL is no longer valid - at the time of my purchase, the contact us page for mygoodmask included a phone number and email address. I fell for the "2 day shipping/free return" and decided to purchase, in need of masks. I even paid an extra fee for the shipping costs as well to have them in time. It's been over 39 days since I placed the order and I have not received the product. I made several attempts to contact the seller but upon calling the number provided on their website, it was an anonymous person who had received hundreds of calls - the seller generated a random number and posted it to their website, same with the email address - no response (screenshot below) 

mygoodmask.com.png

I called and made a dispute through the resolution center with Paypal but was informed today that "The outcome of the case was not in your favor." This is because the seller provided a tracking number (China EMS), I tried contacting China EMS and although their system says that it was delivered April 2, i have not received anything, it is now April 11. 

Mygoodmask.com is built on Shopify and accepted only Paypal payments. With the urgency and uncertainty growing during this time, I decided to purchase the masks despite seeing odd discrepancies in their site mainly grammatical errors in product descriptions, claims that the masks were FDA approved, generic stock imagery, etc. 

They're identified as "Best Online Shop" and have not responded to my response. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 10.15.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 10.45.15 AM.png

After numerous failed attempts in reaching out to the seller, I discovered that the seller was operating several other sites selling masks with different URLs, again built on Shopify -> Perfectideame (which is no longer active and now being redirected to "Hydro Flask, water bottles). 

perfectidea.me.png

The seller, again, used randomly generated addresses and phone numbers in their contact us - thus impossible to reach. 

I'm wondering how many others are experiencing this experience? 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Yxp
Contributor
Contributor

I have had the same experience. now I finally received a low price small straw. According to a anti scam web name Wisdom Ganga research, the scammer will twist the PayPal policy to send you a wrong stuff and make you pay expensive ship fee to China to return it to waste your money and time and PayPal can't refund you by their policy. We can't  drag by the scammer to follow the regular PayPal procedure. The only way to solve this problem is ask PayPal to treat it as scam to investigate and due with it to protect us. The problem is there is no way to contact PayPal other then return the wrong product procedure, and I post this scam at community but get reply from an PayPal employee also ask me to follow the procedure. I can't find any where to answer to this employee. How far PayPal could go in future by this way?

Login to Me Too

Beaches
Contributor
Contributor
I’m also am a victim of the mask scam. I purchased 50 masks at $60.00 and $4.00 shipping totaling $64:00 on Saturday, July 11th. I always buy online through PayPal. Online, the advertisement says PayPal Surgical Masks. I clicked on the advertisement and sure enough it directed me to PayPal, where I put in my PayPal info. When PayPal emailed me with my receipt, I noticed it was a beauty spa, there was no shipping info and my money had been sent to a hotmail email address. The name of the company was Natural Green Spa. When I tried to call the telephone number listed, you just hear a series of clicks, nothing more. I called PayPal, when I realized it was a scam, but there was no one at the phones due to Covid-19. I tried talking to the automated service, but unable to get an understanding of my problem, since there were few topics to choose from and none matched mine. I’m hoping PayPal looks into this. I’d really like to get my money back.
Login to Me Too

Beaches
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal needs to look into this, as the scammers use the PayPal logo on their advertisement. Example: PayPal Surgical Masks. Right away I thought it was a valid site.
Login to Me Too

PneumaPsyche
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Good day to you @bvcjay and @Yxp,

Thank you for using community forum. I am sorry you've had to deal with this issue.

Please get official documentation from the post office that it was never shipped to your address, pdf it, ready to upload to PayPal when you appeal either through the Resolution Center or by contacting customer service:

I hope this helps.

We really appreciate your patience.

Keep safe.

*** Please leave Kudos / Solution if I have helped you. ***

Login to Me Too

YanFeng
Contributor
Contributor

Me too Paypal need investigate this seller and give us a answer,this seller is a scammer that is absolutely.

Login to Me Too

YanFeng
Contributor
Contributor

Hi bvcjay

I am same  experience of your,if the paypal didn't solve your problem ,contract with your Bank.they may help your refund yours,and they did for me.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.