Made a purchase online but don’t know if website is scam... JUST NOW... ALMOST

aalienlady
Contributor
Contributor

August 21st, 2020

YUP - I ALMOST DID IT!  I had everything filled out, right down to my PayPal Debit Card number.

I was about to purchase that "AROUND $400" Heavy Duty Singer Sewing Machine for $79.00.

I sort of got suspicious when the model number #4432 cost $10 MORE than the Newer Sewing Machine model number #4452, BUT I kept filling in my information.

Just as I was about to hit ENTER to place the order, I started thinking about how too many little things just didn't add up. I started wondering why I couldn't find out even an ESTIMATED TIME FRAME WHEN it was going to arrive. They have literally NO CONTACT information and I noticed there was no mention of the 25-year warranty/guarantee on any of the fabulous sewing machines. 

The LAST STRAW that I chose to overlook - but it KEPT HAUNTING ME... was when I went to purchase the needles for the Machine I was about to purchase.  The description on each & every "Accessory item" was the description for a sewing machine... NOT FOR NEEDLES and NOT FOR the other items I chose to open up & view their descriptions. Huuummm?

I couldn't imagine GOOGLE letting FAKE WEBSITES to stay up and conduct business - so I tried to ignore my GUT FEELING... BUT I STOPPED MYSELF from hitting the FINAL "CONTINUE button" that would have sent them my money.

I begrudgingly googled "COUNTERFIT SINGER SEWING MACHINES." There wasn't much there & I almost had to really SEARCH for the few "PLAY ON WORDS" warnings I did find.

So what's up with GOOGLE letting these sites stay up? I know WE ALL KNOW the saying, "If it looks too good to be true - IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE! But most of us have at one time or another had our 'moment of weakness' and WISHED SOMETHING TO BE TRUE! However, that's NO EXCUSE for GOOGLE & the CONSUMER AFFAIRS to literally blow right over this problem. Does the 'CONSUMER AFFAIRS' EVEN EXIST anymore?

You would think SINGER SEWING MACHINES Consumer Affairs would kind of keep an eye out once in a while & have SOMEONE YANK THOSE SITES DOWN. I know more will go up in their place - but for a little while, a few people won't get tempted and do the unthinkable and jump at that 75% - 80% off SALE.

Well, I guess if "the powers that be" do not care that "Cities are burning, multitudes are dying, people are losing their homes and the children are crying...,"   a SCAMM-BAIT Freaking Cheap-Oh Sewing Machine and us whining about losing $100 sure as heck isn't going to raise any eyebrows, is it? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aalienlady 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aalienlady 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

aalienlady
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to send me that INFO.  I did notice all the missing pertinent info that you have stated & ALL THAT did make me follow my "HUNCH!"

Thanks Again! ;>)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.