Limitation on Account

kevinlawless
Contributor
Contributor

I have a limitation on my account and after entering CHAT with PayPal agent I was advised to upload my birth certificate and council tax bill as proof of ID because I do not have any Photo ID. I told the PayPal agent I would upload these documents as a single PDF file using the Photo ID upload link in the Resolve centre and was told this was OK. He said he would personally resolve the issue in 72 hours. After 72 hours I received a message on the Resolve site saying I had uploaded the wrong documents and I need to upload Photo ID. It now impossible to to contact anyone human on the Chat service. How am I meant to get limitations removed from my account? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kevinlawless
Contributor
Contributor

I have done as requested and provided my birth certificate and council tax bill. PayPal told me on two occasions these two documents will be sufficient proof of identity. I have now received an email asking me again for photo ID when I have already explained I do not have photo ID. Can you advise if PayPal has any intention of allowing me access to my the money I placed in my PayPal account? Does PayPal intend to permanently deprive me of the money in my account. Please note, at no time did PayPal stipulate I would need photo ID when I opened the account. Regards, Kevin <removed>

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @kevinlawless,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

A birth certificate along with a council tax bill showing your name and address is something we can accept instead of a photo ID. Make sure the bill was issued within the last 12 months though as that would be necessary. It is possible that we were unable to open the document you sent or that the picture was not clear. I recommend uploading the information again as we should be able to accept it. 

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

kevinlawless
Contributor
Contributor

I have now received an email asking if your reply to my post was solution. It was far from any sort of solution. I have been trying to get my account unblocked. I am advised to upload my birth certificate and council tax bill which I did. I had to send these using the Photo ID link because no one advised me of a suitable email address. On uploading via the Photo ID link I then see a message saying these are the wrong documents. I am so frustrated at PayPal blocking my PayPal account when all I did was transfer money from my own bank account to my PayPal account. One further concern is why is PayPal monitoring my online banking activity? Did my bank give PayPal authority to monitor my online banking activity? Kevin <removed>

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @kevinlawless,

Thank you for your post. I'm happy to clarify any misunderstanding. While PayPal would not be monitoring your activity with your bank itself, if that activity involves the PayPal system, it would be subject to PayPal's review. PayPal may have regulatory obligations to request information in some cases, or information may be requested in situations where there is risk present. 

I hope this helps clarify.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

kevinlawless
Contributor
Contributor

So why did my PayPal account suddenly become blocked a few seconds after I transferred funds from my bank account to my PayPal account? At the time the browser had my PayPal account open, the PayPal help page open and my online bank account open. I used copy and paste to copy the relevant sort code and account number from the advice page and paste it into my online bank account transfer sections. As I finished copying and completed the transfer my PayPal account was immediately blocked on the grounds it had detected suspicious behaviour on my bank account. The so called suspicious behaviour was myself following PayPay's own instructions. So I conclude that PayPal was monitoring my browser activity while I was using my online banking service, unless of course PayPal can tell me what activity they found suspicious. Could it be the fact that some few minutes beforehand my Android PayPal App returned an error when I tried to use the Add Money facility on the App? This error has occured before so perhaps it is a problem within the App that has caused my account to be blocked. Given the history of transactions on my account, i.e. two small purchses, it hardly warrants the unbelievable hassle I have been having. Fortunely I have not been misguided enough to trust PayPal with anything larger than £40! Kevin <removed>.

Login to Me Too

kevinlawless
Contributor
Contributor

I forgot to ask one last question. Does anybody either at PayPal or the world in general know who I should email my birth certificate and council tax bill to in order to unblock my account? Please don't tell me to send to either the services email address or via the Resolve page as all my attempts to follow that route have ended in my receiving either an message stating these are the wrong documents or an automatic reply saying I should go to the Resolve page. Kevin <removed>.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @kevinlawless,

To protect your sensitive information, PayPal provides the ability to upload information to resolve your limitation from within your account in the Resolution Center. If you are receiving an error uploading the documents, please make sure that the file type is one of the accepted file types, that the file size is smaller than the listed amount, that the file name is not long, and that the file name does not consist of a string of numbers.  

As a backup option, you can use the Email us selection on the contact page and attach the file to the email webform. To ensure that it's reviewed as quickly as possible with your limitation however, the best option is to upload it directly in the Resolution Center.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

kevinlawless
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone going to reply to my question asking how am I meant to upload my birth certificate and council tax bill when the link in the Resolve Web page offers no option to select these types of documents? The only options are Driving Licence, Passport, Military ID or National ID. In addition, when I try to email these documents to the PayPal service email address I get an automated reply advising me to go to the Resolve page. Kevin <removed>.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Donna

Hello kevinlawless,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

You can upload the documents we have requested here.

They will then be attached to your account and we can review them for you.

-Donna

Login to Me Too
Solved

kevinlawless
Contributor
Contributor

I have done as requested and provided my birth certificate and council tax bill. PayPal told me on two occasions these two documents will be sufficient proof of identity. I have now received an email asking me again for photo ID when I have already explained I do not have photo ID. Can you advise if PayPal has any intention of allowing me access to my the money I placed in my PayPal account? Does PayPal intend to permanently deprive me of the money in my account. Please note, at no time did PayPal stipulate I would need photo ID when I opened the account. Regards, Kevin <removed>

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.