Letting someone borrow money with a assurance

101010294bdfi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I have been looking into allowing someone to borrow money from me for a set time frame. In order to have assurance or in this case a "safety net" that I will get my money back, I saw that the best way to go about this would be to send it as "Goods and Services". 

Would this go against PayPals policy since I never received Goods nor services from them? Both parties located in the USA.

Thanks in advanced. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@101010294bdfi 

Best that you write up a promissory note, for both parties to sign and agree to the terms as you may need it to reserve the right to take the borrower to small claims court if need be and have the money sent as friends and family since what is happening is not technically a goods and services transaction.

You 'can' do it by goods and services option and claim item not received but the borrower can just send something through the mail tracked so there is a tracking number. Or if you file Significantly Not as Described, you may have to do a 'return'. However if you put the circumstances of the case in the dispute, this will help PayPal decide the outcome. If PayPal rules against you then you have the promissory note and small claims method as another recourse. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.