Large sum of money gone to wrong account

AnneMarie65
Contributor
Contributor
Hello I’m writing here because I’m appalled that money can be lost so easily via PayPal. I was required to set up a PayPal account to receive a £7000 refund from a training company based in the US. I accept full responsibility for making a two-digit mistake in the email address I gave them. When I realised my mistake I contacted PayPal. They gave me the name of the person who received the money in error and I emailed her. No response. The company also raised the matter with PayPal but have been told there’s nothing PayPal can do and the matter is closed. How come there’s no check between a recipient’s name and their email address? How can it be so easy for a mistake like this to be made and there’s no chance of restitution? I’m so upset about this and I just need to express that!
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AnneMarie65 

Well if they sent it as goods/services they could have opened a dispute for non receipt of item and got the funds back again.

But if they sent it friends/family then sadly the only option would have been unauthorised but that wouldn't work as they did authorise the payment ie they were not hacked.

Ask if they funded the payment via a credit card and if so there card issuer 'may' help them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AnneMarie65 

As your email address identifies your paypal account then its pretty important for you to triple check it before supplying it to someone to use to pay you.

Paypal can't do anything once you have sent it if the payment completes.

Did they use the friends/family OR goods/services option to send it to you?

If it was the latter then ask them to open a dispute for non receipt of item and they may get the money back as that person has nothing to send.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

AnneMarie65
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for taking the time to reply. The Company which sent the money to the wrong account opened a dispute to try to retrieve it for me but PayPal rejected this as they deem the transaction to be ‘authorized’.
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AnneMarie65 

Well if they sent it as goods/services they could have opened a dispute for non receipt of item and got the funds back again.

But if they sent it friends/family then sadly the only option would have been unauthorised but that wouldn't work as they did authorise the payment ie they were not hacked.

Ask if they funded the payment via a credit card and if so there card issuer 'may' help them.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.