Kayak Scam/Pelican Sports

Common12
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a Kayak through a bogus Pelican Sports Co. (via Paypal) and found out it was a scam. I reported it to Paypal as "unauthorized." Paypal denied it. Did I choose the wrong reason for dispute? I have not received it and the tracking number they provided Paypal is bogus. I know several other people that had the same experience with this scam. Please refund my money.

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Common12 

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction.

Why didn't you open one for non receipt of item???

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal (when and if you can) and see if they will open a second dispute for you.
They may decline citing policies but if you say what happened then they might open a second dispute for you.

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pdwilson195
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me.  I reported it as product that was never received, and also reported that there were several others on Facebook and other boards saying they were scammed also.  The link to the seller and their website was already dead.  Somehow Paypal was able to communicate with the seller, who provided a tracking number.  Paypal closed the case even though the USPS stated the tracking number was for a 1 oz envelope placed in the mailbox, not a 110lb boat.  I've been using Paypal for a long time, but the way they handle these scams is extremely disappointing.  

Login to Me Too

mabercrombie
Contributor
Contributor

same here and even with my credit card company! 

Login to Me Too

StaciePress
New Community Member

Same exact thing happened to me. They won't reopen the case. I'm very disappointed and won't be using PayPal anymore as they are obviously not protecting their customers from obvious scams!

Login to Me Too

TickedOkie
New Community Member
Same! It was for a freaking envelope. No kayak. It was not the goods or services that were paid for. I have pictures of the confirmation of what I ordered when I ordered it and PayPal denied my claim. Bs! First time I’ve had trouble with PayPal.
Login to Me Too

Econoboater
Same thing just happened to me... Out the $99.00 😞
Login to Me Too

StaciePress
New Community Member

I don't understand how PayPal can deny this claim so many times. The receipt Pelican Sports sends has a bogus email and a bogus website, and they send Paypal a bogus receipt of delivery! How can PayPal see this happening to so many people and keep denying people? I'm afraid I'll have to stop using PayPal if they won't protect me from such obviously bogus scammers.

Login to Me Too

Common12
Contributor
Contributor

Following up on my original post.

I called PayPal and told them what happened. The CSR was very helpful and found offered to refund me my money. He said that he would change the claim from "not authorized" to "did not receive product." This was almost 6 weeks after the initial complaint.

I guess you have to pickup the phone and talk to a REAL person to get REAL results. Frustrating, but I got my money backQ

Login to Me Too

Matja
Contributor
Contributor
Had the same issue and so far Paypal declined my case. Thank you for the recommendation, I will try to call them today.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.