Just been scammed

RyanDonkey
Contributor
Contributor

I got this message on Facebook from a mate: 

'Can I ask a quick favour if you have paypal? Hope everythings well x'

'I sold my laptop on ebay and I'm having a nightmare getting into my paypal to receive the payment so I was wondering if you could receive it for me then transfer it over? x'

Stupidly I did!!!

The money went into my palpay fine, so I moved it into my bank and then transferred it to their account they sent me. Then the money recived got put 'On Hold'  

The buyer reported that someone made the order without their permission. Until this case is closed, we've also placed a hold on the transaction amount.

So now my Paypal is in negative until I can get it sorted 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RyanDonkey 

Select your 'mates' more carefully in the future.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

RyanDonkey
Contributor
Contributor

I should of added that their Facebook was hacked! They sent it to more people on their friend list too =(

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RyanDonkey 

Yep sadly a common scam, always best to contact the mate involved via another medium than Facebook to check its really them.  😪

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

RyanDonkey
Contributor
Contributor

So just an update.

The scammer got away with the money despite me sending photo evidence of the conversation and my bank account showing the money going in and out.

PayPal Customer  services have been absolutely shocking through all this, they sent me a link to send the evidence to that they no longer use.

Even though I have said it's a scam and shown evidence of it being so they refuse to ask the 'buyer' for proof of a purchase being made, in their words 'it would be hard for PayPal to sort a situation like this'.

They then confirmed that it's not impossible but they would find it hard so won't try.

Big lesson learnt for me, pay more attention and don't ever ask Customer Support for help.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.